Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students views.

What is the best way to help keep the students views inline with reality versus the perception of reality.

Theodore--

I'm not sure the exact scenario you are referencing, but perception always shapes relatity. Providing them with as much information and data as possible to support the real situation is a good strategy.

Susan

To keep there views and reality inline is to provide a positive admissions, enrollment, and oreintetion with faculity, present students and campus president or dean.

Bruce--

Defintely...everyone plays a role in establishing clear and realistic expectations. The key is getting everyone on the same page with that!

Susan

Often to help manage expectations about the course, my part, and most importantly student actions, I state the expectations upfront and give students a chance to question their relevancy and importance. THEN, I have them state to me how they are going to make sure they stay on that course. That helps reduce issues about fairness and my decisions when students complete or do not complete assignments.

Karen--

This is excellent! Setting the expectations, allowing discussion and then...having them do their own problem-solving/planning. Outstanding.

Susan

Perception is huge. You can really impact a student's experience by putting a positive spin on things. I like to tell my students, "If the glass is always half empty, you'll never have enough to drink."

Dan--

You are correct...perception is reality. Even if it isn't true, it is real the eyes of the person who thinks that. Teaching them to see the possibilities rather than the obstacles is a real life 'success skill'. What a great legacy you give them!

Susan

I think its important to ground the lessons you give with real-world examples. Particularly when working with adult students, giving them scenarios where this learning could actually be applied keeps them more engaged and also gives them a clearer sense of how these skills will serve them personally in the real world.

John--

Kudos! Making the material 'real world' is a key to keeping student motivated. Over the years, that is one of the things I've heard the most...'when will I ever use this?'

Susan

On the first day I try to get everyone feeling relaxed ,and remove any tension. I tell them we are going to have a good time,but we will learn what we need to learn.

Sign In to comment