Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

2nd Orientation midway in the program

Do you think it would be helpful to students to introduce a 2nd orienation midway through the program as way to remotivate students who are failing or considering dropping and also to keep those students who are in good standing involved in the school ?

Marie--

Yes! I think that's an excellent idea. Another school does one a couple weeks after the start of the session just to take a 'temperature' check and reinforce things covered in orientation. That seemed to be a very effective program for them. Your idea is also an excellent one. That's about the time students 'hit the wall'.

Susan

While I find periodical assessment vital, I am not sure how you would diferenciate a second orientation from a regular monthly meeting to assess satisfactory progress. Could you be more specific as of what would the second orientation entail?

I believe the philosophy here was to reinforce the information provided at the original orientation. Typically, we throw so much at them it is difficult to remember it all!

A monthly meeting as you indicate would accomplish much of the same thing. The largest advangates to a second orientation with all new students would increasing peer bonding and allow everyone to hear others questions.

Susan

Yes. I think this is a goood idea, but i dont know how the students can react to that invitation. In our school students dont have a lot of free time because of the nature of our accelerated program. We need to be sure to not overwelmed them with to many activities than take their time.

In line with that thought, what would be a good solution for students who are in an accelerated program, with little time and varied schedules?

The midway point is certainly a good spot for some sort of event that would serve to re-motivate students. I don't know what a 2nd orientation would accomplish though. What we have begun doing is invite students to come watch the capstone presentation for the graduating students. This gets them thinking about their own capstone and allows them to realize there really is a light at the end of the tunnel. It serves to start them thinking about what "they" could do and instead of waiting until the last minute, they can being to plan and visualize what their own may look like.

Shelly--

That is an excellent idea!

A second orientation should accomplish a couple things, one of which is exactly what you are doing. What a great way to keep the new student motivated.

The other points would be to allow students to get additional questions answered. After they actually begin classes and are within the institution for a time, they have different questions and concerns than they had before they began. This doesn't have to be highly structured and planned out. Just a 'touch base' opportunity to see how things are going for them.

Susan

I do think that is a wonderful idea. We hadn't considered implementing that before, but may consider doing so. Something we do along those lines though, is after the program mid-point we focus on integrating business / marketing classes as well as more specific training that makes our students more well-rounded in their career choice. It really renews their motivation and excitement about the future!

Excellent! Someone else said they have their new students sit in on their graduates' final presentations. That is also an awesome opportunity to renew their enthusiasm.

Susan

I agree about the benefits of an orientation program review. However, in line with the accelerated program issues, it seems the students that most need the review and reminders are the least likely to structure their time to take advantage of it....What students may need more is help in time management....too often school is not the first, second, or third priority and their learning and frustration with themselves, school, the professors, etc. suffer.

Do most schools have counselors to help in time management that really might be needed 1/2 way through a course.

Karen--

Time management...in and out of school...is a critically important skills. Some schools with the luxury of longer terms include that and study skills in some sort of extended orientation/freshman course. Unfortunately, with accelerated courses there just isn't time in a traditional sense. Perhaps some 'tips' on this could be included in an orientation and/or an online version where they could complete something virtually that would give them the skills necessary could be of benefit.

Susan

Our students enter a new class every 3 weeks therefore, we have the advantage of reminding them of our expectations as well as fielding their questions that may have arisen since their last course. Our students may not have had the same amount of courses completed and I will call on the students that have been here longer to help guide the newer ones.

Patrick--

What an excellent opportunity to reinforce key information. It is wonderful that you so intentionally do that.

Susan

Sign In to comment