Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

2nd week of class

What is being done as a follow up to orientation during the second or third week of school to check up on students and see if their expectations are being met by everyone they have encountered?

Beth-

Excellent point. It is during the second and third week that, typically, reality sets in. Homework, child care, transportation issues hit home.

Some of the institutions I have worked with have Admissions follow up through the first 2-3 weeks. This is a double-edged sword. The reps typically know the most about the students have the best relationship. On the other hand, it is getting the students to bond with the faculty and other support staff that really have the long-term retention payoff.

This is one of the reasons why I advocate having a centralized data management point...so we can get a total picture of what the student is doing (or having difficulty with). If they are consistently late to one class, but everything else is fine--that's a different picture than sporadic attendance in all classes.

That is also why it is extremely critical to have someone (ideally, faculty) follow up with students immediately...at the very first sign of any potential problems.

Susan

Our program requires new students to come to their Academic Advisor and discuss their perceptions of the entire first week. We discuss the whole procedure and how they felt it was handled.
No frills, just straight talk with their advisor who was NOT a direct part of their processing.
The new student feels more at ease and relates all!

Centralized Data Management is often used so no one has direct responsibility for a student. We can always state there was a system glitch when we lose a student. When administrators stop placing their additional duties on the educators plates our retention will improve. When we stop re-inventing the wheel and use our hearts as well as our minds we will become that which we perceive us to be.

Joseph--

This is an EXCELLENT way to get immediate and honest feedback and build the all-important relationship between student and advisor. Wonderful practice!

Susan

Joseph--

I agree...it's all about the students--doing the right thing for each individual. In my experience, someone does need to be responsible for each student. While everyone plays a role, if everyone is 'in charge' then no one is. A centralized management system only works if people are utilizing it. A common problem is getting the pertinent data entered. But without the complete picture of a student's issues it is more difficult to resolve them--and reinforce that across departments.

There is, as you say, no sense in reinventing the wheel. It is not square or oval or .... it's a wheel called excellent customer service.

Susan

We typically send out an anonymous online survey to our new students about a week or two after they begin classes. This is a good way to get feedback from our new students about the orientation and admissions process. In addition, it gives us a better understanding of student expectations, what we can improve upon, and the students' general satisfaction at this point.

Hello Beth
As a follow up to orientation we (the Office of Student Services )have a 1st and 2nd quarter mixer. It allows the new students to mingle with and question those students who had just completed 1st quarter.
Although my staff and I are present only to facilitate the event, we learn A LOT about what students experienced their first quarter and what needs to be improved.
It is a great way to see if we meet the students expectations regarding both Orientation day and as a College.

Melissa--

This is an excellent idea; and I bet you DO learn a lot! Students will tell other students things they would never tell faculty and staff, so this is a great idea.

Susan

We do the reverse. I require my School Chairs to meet with their new students one on one. We don't put the obligation on the student, it is the Chairs' responsibility to go find the student and chat.

We have a advisor that will sit down with each new student to make sure that the student is getting what they are expecting. He usually does this during the third week. If the student is having a problem, then he does what he can to correct it or takes it to the next higher level to make sure the problem is addressed.

At this point of the program it is not as hard to identify someone who may be having difficulty and to follow up with them individually - but what are some schools doing in general at this point 2 -3 weeks in that may help down the line with retention?

You are absolutely correct, 2-3 weeks in it is beginning to be obvious if students are having difficulty. Early intervention is critical, so as soon as an issue is identified we need to start acting.

Some schools have a re-orientation program which is a pretty nice idea. Typically we throw so much information at them at once, it's hard for them to retain. Having a 'reminder' orientation is helpful.

Other schools have successfully implemented a mentoring system with upper class students that helps the new students to acclimate and have a resource.

Susan

Sign In to comment