Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Practice what you preach

I'm amazed almost daily at lack of attention companies pay too customer service. One of the most cost effective measures a company can take to distance itself from its competition is too provide great customer service. Great customer service is often promised but seldom delivered.

Michael--

You are absolutely correct. You may be encouraged, however, in reading some of your fellow participant's current practices and/or ideas. There are so really wondeful things happening out there among the CCA schools.

Hopefully, schools are beginning to realize that a communicating a sense of urgency to the students remains one of the best ways to indicate that customer (student) service places at the top of the list of organizational priorities. Whether that urgency is demonstrated through handing back papers in a timely manner or acting quickly to solve a student's scheduling delimma, the student recogizes when her or she receives attention before other concerns that we face.

Whoops. Sorry about he typo. I meant to write "he or she," not "her or she."

Richard--

Absolutely! It is especially important that everyone understand their role in customer service. From those individuals in the corner processing paperwork; faculty coming to class prepared and, as you stated, returning graded work in a timely manner, the receptionist, the janitor--EVERYONE plays an important role.

And students are inclined to tell anyone on campus information that may be important to retention. That is why a 'clearinghouse' for student issues can be very effect.

Susan

Without great customer service, the extreme competitive nature of the career school industry will take a potentially great school and make it an also-ran. Every individual that the student comes in contact with should remember what a critical role they play in retention. If you are having a bad day, it shouldn't appear to the student that it is his/her fault.

John--

Welcome! and 'amen' to your statement. No matter how we feel, if you are dealing with your clients (students), they need to come first. This is also an excellent model for them as most of our schools train individuals to interact in some capacity with people. If they see us providing exceptional service, they will be more likely to do that on the job.

Susan

You're not the only one... What sets any type of business apart from another is the attention that is given to the customer. At the end of the day who are we here to serve....the student!

Amen!

If we do the right thing for our customer, the rest comes along nicely (increased enrollment, etc.)

Susan

The first person a prospective student talks to sets the tone for the rest of their experience at our school. Good "customer service" is a must. Prospective students want to feel that the school has knowledgeable facility, staff and administration. Returning calls promptly and following through with what you say is also very important. I treat students/prospective students like I want to be treated. I value their time and am considerate of all aspects of the admissions process. If I don't know the answer to a question I research it and get back to him/her with the answer. Good customer service sets our school apart from other schools in our field. Prospective students have commented on how they feel more at ease when going through our application process and how personable the administration is.

Amy--

You are absolutely correct. Setting the correct tone of professionalism, caring and realistic classroom experiences--and outcomes of completing the program--are essential to student success.

Susan

I speak highly of the staff members and faculty to assure students that we will all be there for them. We have great listeners and always give students the support they need. I am happy to know that I am heard also and that there are ways to work with students and educators to have courses run smoothly. If they do not, the intervention is always handled professionally even when some are frustrated.

~Theresa

Theresa,

You bring up an important issue here, that of speaking highly of our coworkers. Letting students know we are all here for them and everyone is on the same team is important. Speaking negatively about others at the institution makes them feel less supported.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment