Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Success

If the students see the institution as more than just a building with classrooms, something that is a living, breathing community - a place of refuge in a lot of ways - but even more than that. I would like each student here understand that they are part of something very special. And it is - college is a very special place where people come together to learn, share and grow. Once a student is committed to this vision, I believe he or she will succeed.

Everyone wants to be a part of something, and feel some form of gratification. Student success can come form the smallest comment. The key elements in student success is showing them that you care. When some of my student have to miss class, when they return, I tell them how much they were missed, and how class was not the same without them. This shows that you are concerned for the student, and it motivates them. In the long run, they try extra hard not to miss any more classes, even if they have to come in late. I know that our job as instructors is to teach academics, but in some cases, when student are really lost, and does not know how to in cooperate common sense with book sense, there is a need to address these issues for academic and career success.

At our school, many, many times I have heard students comment that they receive a level of support here unlike that of any other educational institution they have previously been a part of. Students generally proceed through their courses with the same group of people, so by the time they graduate, a bond has most definitely been created with people they most likely never knew prior to admission. The "process" breeds a communal, supportive, integrative atmosphere which is infectious.

Good point, Victoria. The bonds that the students form are lasting. Does your school have an active alumni group that allows them to stay in touch while staying connected to the school?

I have to agree. We need to be part of the encouragement needed to succeed.

It's important that every one have this attitude, Arleen.

Being attentive to our students is the key, and also being are willing to help them succeed.

Sign In to comment