Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retension/Students/Campus

We all have a part in this program, the campus as a whole, the administrators, education managers, housing, facilities, instructors ect... to include the students. We seem to get alot of finger pointing on who is responsible for retension, just because the instructors have the face time doesn't mean that they need to be the soul savors for our students. The student needs to be willing to accept help from all persons they deal with at their school, as well as to acept that on occasions they (the student) needs to conform or correct a problem they may be pushing. If we all work together we can all gain from this in many ways, keeping students interested in school, keeping employees on a interactive level that stimulates them to higher levels of job gratification.

I agree, but like the students, instructors need to know where the resources are nad how to utilize them. My institution has many people and programs in place to help any student. Part of my job as an instructor is to make sure I know what is available so when I am addressing an issue with a student I can point them in the right direction not just a direction.

I too, agree to the statement but would also like to focus on the specifics of "The student needs to be willing to accept help from all persons they deal with at their school, as well as to accept that on occasions they (the student) needs to conform or correct a problem they may be pushing." There are many times that we as faculty, program directors, mentors, advisors, etc. give students the tools and information necessary to assist them with the issues they may be having and the student turns around and does nothing to follow through. This causes a lot of frustration,for at times it seems that those individuals that you are trying to help the most, do not help themselves. Empowerment has to come from within first.

I agree with you. We as instructors sometimes can help the students by showing them the resources that are available but is up to them to use this tools and resources.

Showing them and encouraging them to utilize the available resources is the entire campuses responsibility and in the end it benifits everyone.

You're so right with your comment. It is very important that the institution makes us all aware of who is in what position, how to contact for services, and exactly what services are offered. If we all have this information, we will be far more readily able to assist the student effectively.

retension begins with involvment at every level, instructors are only one part of the pie, without help from others we have an uphill battle on our hands.

Student retention is everybody's responsiblity but the primary focus is on the instructor for better or worse. I feel that I am in the front lines but also I have to reimd myself that I have resouces to draw upon if I need them.

Sign In to comment