Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It starts with me

I feel that when the students are in the class, if they are going to stay and learn from me I have to let them know I care. One on one, person to person I want them to have the chance to get their dream job.

That's great, but the student needs to know that we care when they are absent too. We have a plan for calling the student once attendance is posted when an absence occurs.

We also call absent students, but I agree that the student needs to feel comfortable at the start, beginning once they enter my class for the first time. I find that if I keep my students actively involved/engaged during class, I have few absent students. If I feel I'm "losing" a class, too many yawns or people fidgeting more than usual then I know it's time to begin a new active approach, maybe a group activity.

I agree. I make sure to meet with my students one-on-one every quarter to dicuss how they are doing, and if they have any questions or concerns.

Attendance rates probably provide more information about the effectiveness of an instructor than the results of end-of-term surveys.

Constantly looking for feedback based on class attentiveness is a wise practice.

When do you find time to meet with the students each quarter? Outside of class or during scheduled class time? What do you do if you can't make schedules work with a student?

When you are accept a position to be an instructor of a class you must also take ownership. You are the mentor, the listener, the advisor and the shoulder to cry on. All for the need to see the students succeed.

I believe when a student sees that you are there for them and that it not just a "JOB" to you, they respond better and are more commited.

Have you encountered instructors who don't buy in to this concept? If so, what went wrong? Hiring practices? Apathy?

I instruct anyone I enroll to come to me if there are any problems including classroom. I try ti emphasize the importance of being here to get the most out of our programs. They have toknow there is someone following up on them I find this to be a great way to stay ion touch with the student and also know what is going on in each class.

Seems like a simple concept, but each student is different. Are there some techniques you have found to be most effective to show them that you are there for them? Do you think best practices would vary by program - would your approach be different for culinary students than automotive?

I think I would have to modify them to fit the situation. The fact is you are right each student is diferent and we have to adapt to them. I feel this is where listening skills are imperative. We hear what they say but do we listen and there is a difference.

I believe you should treat each student as if they are the only student you have. This helps me form a relation thats strong enough to cope with all feeling and problems as well as accedemically.

What each student really wants is for someone to listen to them and understand how they feel and at least acknowledge their concerns. Appreciation is the key and is what they are looking for.

It starts with me on day one through the simple conveyance of my passion for the subject. If you aren't excited, how can they be excited. Everyone should teach the subject they love.... this will only help each student.

Good points, Siobhan. If the "pro" can't get excited about the subject, what does that tell the student about things to come?

Enthusiasm for the subject doesn't necessarily mean leading a pep rally, but it does mean being able to demonstrate your passion for the field.

students are explained on day one that if they miss a day of class they have a responsibility to ask for what they have missed.. I believe its important not to chase students around and constantly remind them they have Labs to make up or class tests they missed. Once they do take the first step to find out what they have missed I praise them and thank them for taking the initiative, to find out what they have missed and making up their labs. once they show the care and responsibilty to I make them aware that I will do everything I can to get them all the information they missed.
I think we can go to far at times trying to get them to take responsibility for things they miss a actually push them into a position where they just wont bother just to rebell or show you up. then all is lost
\

Is this a chronic problem with your students or an isolated situation? Do you remind the class routinely about the procedure? If so, how?

I totally agree Jeff and I would add that it starts on or maybe even before day one with a welcome letter or packet (online environment. Setting expectations and the "tone" or feel of the class is essential for getting off on the right foot.

Setting the "tone" may mean many different things. What are you trying to establish with the new students and how do you know if you are effective?

Sign In to comment