Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Checking in with a Student

I really believe that checking in with a person at least once a week, once they are enrolled, definitely helps the retention rate. Although it's not a hundred percent that the student will remain in school, I always try to make time to talk to them and check in with all of my Students at least once a week.

What do you mean by checking in with a student, Cindy? Is this a private meeting or a less formal encounter? Do you keep notes about the conversations?

What I mean by checking in with a student is that, I call them into my office and I find out from them how things are Personally and in school. Are they catching on or having problems, are they feeling good about the course, about themselves, are they learning, having difficulty learning, is there anything I can do to help, etc. Just mere converstation and probing to make sure things are going well or okay in their life and in school and that there are no problems, or if there are what we can do to help resolve them. It really seems to help them to want to stay in school, especially if they feel you genuinely care. If I do come across a problem with them, we talk about it and get it resolved before they get overwhelmed or discouraged enough to quit school. I've had this happen several times where I've called students in that have had problems maybe with other students or even the Instructor and actually were going to quit. Luckily, I was able to speak with both parties together and conquer the issue before it got worse. If for some reason the issue cannot be resolved or I don't feel comfortable with putting the student back in the same class, then I will forward him to the next class. I have actually had to do this periodically, not often though.

I believe checking in on new Students is very important. Sometimes you can save a new Student from dropping out just by enforcing that you do care by taking the time to have a one on one talk!

Checking with a student is very important because it shows you care. I had a student that was about to drop and I listen to them and tried to help them . With me being a financial aid officer I also to them how this dropping will affected their finanacial aid. By time she left my office, she had calm down and was thanking me for all the help. I check on her a few days later and she was back to her normal self and was thinking me for listen to her.

The financial impact of dropping out is frequently overlooked by students. They don't realize that they will be expected to re-pay their loans or possibly damage their creditworthiness.

I agree. Even as an instructor just making sure you ask if everything is ok with work or family helps the student feel that they are cared for and hopefully makes them feel comfortable to come to you with any issues.

Sounds simple, Alexandra, but not everyone is comfortable asking those questions.

Sign In to comment