Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Career schools can no longer afford not to invest in its students

The word is out. It's out at the federal, state, and accrediting levels. It's out at the local level through word of mouth and now the media. Too many career schools have forgotten that we're in the business of training our students to be professionally competitive and realize true success not only in the workplace, but in life. The average career school student typically chooses a proprietary school over a traditional two-to four-year school for one or more of three primary reasons. One, because the completion time is shorter; two, because the course(s) offered is really what they want to do; and/or three, because they couldn't get into a traditional institution.

That's reality - we as career school professionals know it and our students know it. This is our business, to promote and influence competitiveness and success in our students. Unfortunately, the spotlight is now on those career schools who have been more interested in growth, acquisition, and increased profit; and that should cause the other schools to begin to invest heartily in staff members and instructors who are truly committed to the core values of student success. We can no longer afford to hire staff members who look good on paper and can interview well but do not involve themselves in the student success process.

We can no longer afford to hire instructors who use career schools as a default for employment because they couldn't cut it in the corporate sector. Many of them have the same issues that our students have and cannot manage their own lives; therefore, they are often ill-equipped for student intervention.

We can no longer afford for school executives, directors, and managers to publish a "feel good" mission statement, yet their subsequent actions paint an entirely different picture. The word is out and it's a word with which true educators can no longer afford to be associated.

Thank you for sharing your point of view, Rodney. You have touched on quite a few topics. I'll try to respond to the main points.

I believe that there are more than three reasons that students select a proprietary school – convenience of schedule and/or location, better support services, comfort with the culture to name a few. Most community colleges offer open enrollment so it is overly cynical to suggest that students come because they couldn't get into a traditional institution.

The media and regulatory spotlight isn't limited to schools in the proprietary sector. It shines brightly across the whole community, focusing on topics like the rate of increase in tuition rates, low graduation rates, the return on investment of Title IV funds, transferability of credits, etc., etc. Consumers of higher education services are much more informed than ever before. They are holding all members of the community more accountable for results. The proprietary sector actually has taken a very proactive role in this regard, suggesting that performance standards be incorporated into access to Federal aid programs.

Hiring the ‘right people' is one of the greatest challenges faced by any employer. Many proprietary schools have higher standards for hiring than other institutions in the sector. Instructors are expected to have both an appropriate educational and professional background, and are evaluated on their ability to connect with students. I had a professor in grad school who was a Noble prize laureate but was the worst teacher I ever had. The university was delighted to have him on the faculty. The proprietary sector has professional development requirements [like RT101] and routinely evaluates classroom performance to assure that students are getting what they pay for. These practices are not commonly found in other sectors of higher ed.

Finally, I believe that everyone at the institution shares responsibility for defining that school's culture. If a person doesn't like the culture, they must reflect on what they can do to make a positive change.

I think you're right-- we do need to hire qualified employees but they also need to be dedicated to the students. It's not enough to just simply teach to them, you have to guide them and be their support system. ALL employees need to connect with each student so that there is a better chance of that student feeling "at home".

It's great to see these words from someone who is in a position to do something about who touches students, Therese. How do you qualify potential employees for their ability to connect with students?

I agree, there must be a connection, and it has to be more than just education/experience. The students have to believe that we are genuine, and we on the other hand have to be genuine (the students need to be able to come to us and feel comfortable doing so). We have to continue to work in ways that are meaningful to the student to satisfy their needs.

Bishop, do you have any specific meaningful ways that you work to satisfy student needs? What screening tools do you use when selecting new hires?

All great points. It is always less expensive to keep a student than it is to bring in a new one.

What specific things do you plan to do in the next 30 days to keep students, Ephrain?

Absolutely. I fear that in our profit driven, high profile, immediate gratifcation culture we are overlooking the simple truth that the only reason we exist is the success of our students and that without facilitating that success we will not and should not continue to be viable over the long term.
The time when we could afford token gestures, if it ever existed, is long past. At every level of education, in every small town, country, and big city school, as well as in our vocational and college settings, we have to become serious about student outcomes. Not only our fate as individual institutions, but our competetiveness as a nation is at stake.

Your points are well taken, Donnie. What actions do you plan to take to assure that your school is serious about student outcomes?

My role here seems limited to being as good a teacher and listener to students as I know how and suggesting through faculty meetings and retention committee meetings whatever I can to help in the process. I have been involved at that level for years and our retention program has grown. So far our school has instituted orientations; academic, attendance, and student of the month awards; three levels of pinning ceremonies; mentors; advisors; a coordinator with a minimal teaching load who is focused on retention; job fairs; and alumni speakers. The physical plant has been structured with a student lounge, lunch area, and vending machine area. Courses have been rethought to focus on student outcomes in certifications and professions. We have for the most part a very good faculty and student needs are discussed in biweekly academic progress meetings. We have a good referral source in the faculty for support services outside of the area of expertise of our school, and I act as unofficial school counselor (I have 18 years in counseling experience.
It gets more difficult to generate fresh approaches every year, but we (I) have to keep the focus. We lose students every semester who could have been saved.

It sounds like your school has come a long way in providing meaningful services to students, Donnie. Keep up the good work. Generating fresh approaches every year may be more important to faculty and staff that the students who are having the experience for the first time. While it's frustrating to lose students, not every one can be saved at the moment but perhaps you can create an interest in returning after the current problem is resolved.

I stomach turned as I read your posting. I am sitting here thinking that either your place off employment or the other instructors you work with have made you disgruntled. For that I am sorry, I hope that since much time has pasted since your posting you have again found a passion for your job and your place of employment. But I do have to admitt that you have also put out that stigmatism of "those who can - do and those who can't - teach". Well if you can't do it, then you can't teach it either, that is my belief anyway. I have also always thought it was easier to work in the field, then teach it, because of tall the other issues that come with education.

I know that my employer cares about his students from day 1, and continues to care about the student until the last day in class. No one is just put in to teach, you need, experience, education, knowledge, and a true passion.

Amen, Tina.

Excellent! I have to agree whole heartedly with this statement. We all need to sit up and take notice. It change in this industry is long over due.

What changes would you like to see, Patricia? What are you going to do to help them come to be?

Most schools want you to keep a certain distance from the students, Sometime an instructor has to let the student know that they are also human and a lot of time experience some of the same problems.

How do you do that in your classroom, Willinette?

RODNEY; I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY THAT A PREPRATORY SCHOOL DEFINITELY HAS TO INVEST IN THEIR STUDENTS AND MEET THEIR NEEDS

What does it mean when you say "a preparatory school definitely has to invest in the their students and their needs"? What action are you planning to take at your school?

Sign In to comment