Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thanks, Diane. I don't exactly understand what roles the students were elected to fill, but this structure offers an opportunity for them to take responsibility for helping shape classroom activities. Challenge them to plan the next field trip, including how to fund it. Good luck.

We give out certificates at the end of each quarter for Perfect Attendance and Honors.

Awards at graduation do not really assist with student retention per se. After all, they have already graduated. However, quarterly student rewards can have a poistive affect on student retention.

Interesting point, Richard. Awards at graduation probably have minimal impact on retention; they may be more effective generating good will and future enrollments. Recognizing positive behavior during the period of enrollment has a broader motivating effect.

Not only at graduation, but each month we recognize top students with perfect attendance and honor roll. I encourage everyone to recognize each other's accomplishments. Just recently, I had one student get perfect attendance after months of poor attendance due to many "issues". Thanks to fellow students encouraging her and helping her get to class, she did it! You should have heard the standing ovation she got! Also, I make it a practice to acknowledge their hard work each day - I thank them at the end of the day for all they did that day. Everyone likes to hear "thank you" for their efforts.

Keep up the good work, Victoria. Is there anything you plan to do to expand these recognition practices?

Awards are fantastic, any little thing that shows recognition works for us. I have given Certificates for good grades to attendance. I have also had donut days if the class average is above a set mark I have brought donuts in. Don't make it a habit because then the expect it, but little things do help. Simple things like a perfect attendance certificate, booy do you catch flack if you miss someone. But I have seen the students compete to see who can maintain perfect attendance the longest. So awards do work. Specialty pens, pencils, things students need. Makes a world of difference

We all want to be recognized for our good performance, Stephen. That's true for faculty and staff as well as students. Unfortunately, many managers recognize the need to provide motivation for students but don't extend the lesson to others. Does your school have any recognition programs for staff and faculty?

Excellent...great idea...I love it... Is this something that the school makes up or do you do it on you own? Do have any other ideas?

HERE AT OUR SCHOOL WE HAVE AN HONOR ROLL AWARD, ATTENDANCE AWARD AND MANY DIFFERENT AWARDS ARE GIVEN AT GRADUATION. IT IS VERY PLEASING TO SEE THE EXPRESSIONS OF THE OTHER PEOPLE (EITHER FELLOW STUDENTS OR FAMILY AND FRIENDS) WHEN THESE AWARDS ARE GIVEN. IT IS ALSO AN INSENTIVE TO STRIVE FOR IMPROVING ONESELF.

What sort of awards or student recognition program does your school have, Davida?

Mildred, is graduation the only time that you recognize student achievement? If so, you might want to consider other opportunities during the period of enrollment to get the same benefits – improved self image, incentive, etc.

NO EVERY MONTH THE STUDENTS HAVE A CHANCE FOR HONOR ROLL AND PERFECT ATTENDANCE. WE ALSO OFFER A GRAD OF THE YEAR AT THE END OF THE YEAR. SOMETIMES WE CHOOSE MORE THAN ONE.

Wow Victoria! This is beautiful! Not only did your awards acknowledge someone who truly deserved the award, but it also acknowledged someone who had to jump hurdles and overcome obstacles to achieve success. The award also built confidence in many who may be struggling, that success is possible. How powerful to have a standing ovation by your peers! What a confidence and commeraderie booster! That's a sense of community I'd love to replicate as often as possible. We offer a perfect attendance award at the end of every year, but this gives me the back up I need to promote it as a quarterly award. Thanks and congrats to you.

Tammy, what actions do you plan to take to implement the quarterly program or to boost confidence and esprit de corps of your students?

We have had a Student of the Course award at my school for many years and it is very well respected. The student receives a "SOC" pin for their name badge so all can see. They are very proud to wear a badge covered in SOC pins.

Jeanette, are you planning to implement any new initiatives as a result of completing RT101?

Our campus is experiencing a fairly significant decrease in retention. We are having an in service day in May for all the employees. I am proposing that we spend a couple of hours that day looking at retention. We talk about it all the time but I'm not sure that the average employee understands exactly what it is and how they impact it. I would like for the staff to break up into teams and brainstorm what they can do to improve this key metric. This course has provided me a great base to build this meeting. Most of the concepts were not new to me but I still feel that the course was very worthwhile and I will use what I learned.

Thanks, Jeanette, and good luck. Let me know if I can of any assistance.

This is a great idea. We dont do this at our location. I will pass on the information. thamk you.

Sign In to comment