Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Joe, I agree with you to an extent. I think instructors are great resources for students and often who students are most comfortable with.

On the other hand, they have to be careful with that fine line between instructor and friend. There have been a few instances where instructors have been innocently trying to be helpful and it has backfired. Many students that need this structure and care the most have learned coping mechanisms that will also push people away.

Too often instructors are expected to provide support to students without any training on how to do this. It's a great professional development topic. Simple examples of effective coaching can be shared at staff meetings to give guidance and share experiences.

It always seems to me that when money is involved as an incentive it always seems to benefit the instuctors who are in it for the money anyways. in my opinion if you are teaching primarily for the money you should not be teaching. Too often I see great teachers get so discouraged because they do care and eventually get burn out. There is such an emphasis on numbers they feel no matter what they do it is hopeless. I think a litte honey goes along way. I would like to see in my school more positive reinforcement- not money. saying great job, complimenting people, maybe a teacher appreciation day every quarter. Maybe I am being overly simplistic, but I find being kind and appreciated goes along way. Much of what I read in this chapter could be applied to the instructors. Trying to hold on to the good ones. It seems to me we get are selves so stressed out we forget the little things that really matter.

What can you do to start some of these practices on your campus, Heidi. Since these aren't high impact items on the budget, can you get administrative buy-in?

We have found that instructor are the first line of defense when it comes to a possible withdrawal or LOA of a student. The instructors should be aware of the students and when something in them changes. It is that awareness that will help in the long run. We have created an incentive program for instructors that help to make them responsible for their classroom

Could you share some details of this incentive plan, Lisa?

How do we integrate adjunct faculty into our culture yet respect their outside committments?

Many of the principles used to engage students apply to adjunct faculty as well. If the gain doesn't exceed the pain, they will not become involved.

It's important to make your expectations about involvement clear to new adjunct faculty during the hiring process. If you want them to show up for non-classroom events, you need to make that clear in advance or you will invariably get a request for extra compensation. Good matches won't mind – in fact, they will want to get involved with the students and their progress.

What methods are you using now, Milessa?

A balance here needs to be struck. Retention is important however, retention for retention’s sake will ultimately cheapen the brand and the effect will be felt when enrolment falls off due to the number of employers who hired a student from a given institution and regretted the experience.

Another activity that our school has is group motorcycle rides to get employees together and involved.

I'm going to guess that motorcycles are an important part of your school's culture, Gary. How often do you take these rides? Who coordinates the event?

Any thoughts on another activity that might have similar results without the motorcycles?

I actually enjoy guiding students and letting them know what actions they can take to succeed. One of my books has an introducion to learning and how to be prepared for the course.

When a student has an issue I am sure to give them positive guidance and any direction they may need to succeed. They have to beleive in themselves.

~Theresa

Sign In to comment