Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Judgement

As a first time instructor on a college level basis I found some results after our first exam that were opposite of what I thought the scores would be. The students who I worried about the most, who were always asking questions, or asking for clarification did the absolute best on all of the tests. When developing the next exam, I asked each student to write 2-3 test questions that they thought were important and should be on our next exam. Because the students had to develop some questions, they read each chapter more in depth and came to class better prepared. They also scored much higher as a whole on the next exam. I think that because they felt some ownership of their education, they worked a little harder when reading and studied even harder for the tests.

Engaging students, Melissa, is one of the keys to success in the classroom. This is an innovative way to get them involved. They have to decide what information is important for the class and presumably, for their future jobs.

One of the first things I noticed when I started to teach, was that the students I thought might do well or would have difficulty did not necessarily perform the way I expected. I've learned that the only way for the students to achieve the performance that is desired, is to engage them throughout the course. Especially the quiet students. They need to participate in order to learn. If they do not, they tend to have problems when it is time for testing.

Sign In to comment