Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Question for Everyone

First, let me preface this question by stating that I work as an academic advisor. Tracking all of the interactions I have with students, I have been disturbed to find that the ones I deal with are primarily either in the academic erosion or stagnation phases.

This concerns me....I think it is so important that we also stay in close contact with the students who don't show up on our radars as being at-risk because this will definitely help to prevent future problems and build relationships with them; however, I find that the majority of my time and energy is spent on the students exhibiting problems.

Does anyone have some ideas for how I can stay in contact with those students who are doing well, too?

Thanks!

Teri

Teri, at my previous school we encouraged all students to use our on-line system, GradMax, to communicate, on a weekly basis, what was going on in their lives – the good as well as the bad. Students would share events like plans to get engaged and travel plans. It provided an opportunity of our coaches to stay connected and share in the excitement.

I would love to hear more about how this works...I guess my concern has to do with how they get input based on their responses.

Thanks!

Teri

Students enter information via a password protected web account. The information goes to a support person on staff who has been introduced to the student in advance. This person, their Coach, is able to respond via email or has access to the student's phone number. The student also knows where the Coach's office is located and can stop by. The system offers confidential, non-judgmental support to the student. Students are able to make comments, request services or perform a series of PDA-like functions. For many students making initial contact with someone they don't know is easier on the computer than it is to seek out a “stranger”, see if they will have time to see them and hoping that the person will be supportive. Visit www.corvusllc.com for more details.

One way we handle keeping in touch with more students, the quiet ones as well as the ones who are having difficulties is through a daily consultation sheet. The instructors make an effort to speak directly to at least one student in each class every day and record the encounter. Sometimes for the quiet ones it means acknowledging that they did well on a homework assignment or asking one-on-one if they understood what was covered in class that day. For the ones with poor grades or attendance problems, it is to help make them see that we are aware of their presence or absence from the class. Information is then passed on to the director and is useful in providing background on a student he needs to speak with.

What happens to these daily consultation sheets, Peggy? Are they passed on to a central point? Do they become part a student's file? Are your instructors faithful to the process?

These consultation sheets are passed on to the director of the college and/or the director of education. It is up to them to take appropriate action. (Some of the consultations are FYI only and do not require intervention.) We also have a staff member who phones each student who is at risk with our attendance policy. She endeavors to determine why they are missing class and then encourages them to find solutions to their problematic situations.
Some instructors are very faithful in completing these sheets daily. Others may go to the director or staff member directly with their concerns. However, a paper trail is advantageous to track difficult students.

I find that monitoring grades and attendance of the students helps to identify those students who are doing well. Their efforts are noted in a monthly assembly where certificates are presented for honor roll,perfect attendance and student of the month. They are acknowledge before the entire class. I have seen the pride these students feel in receiving awards of this kind.

Also, even in less formal situations, seeing students in the hall on break, in the breakroom, smoking or other occasions; just asking the student how things are going can be positive. The student feels you care about them individually and this can prompt students to seek you out when there is a problem.

Teresa, one of the most important components of student persistence is their belief that the institution is committed to their success. Acknowledging their success and making personal contact, particularly during out-of-class encounters, is a clear demonstration of that commitment.

Prearranged weekly meetings can be a good way to keep in touch with students.Students who skip theese brief meetings may be having problems and may need a more in-depth session.

Joanna, how do you follow up with students who miss their weekly meeting?

My Advisors shared the same frustration with me - so we just started a couple of new things: the Advisors now sent out congratulatory letters for students that receive and A or B in course (this is shortly after the grades are posted - we do this via an email merge); we are also posting the names of students who have reached milestones in their program (25/50 & 75% complete) on our student web site (we were already listing the names of grads & near grad students); the advisors are also trying to periodically send out some general information regarding something about the curriculum or industry along with a reminder of their office hours.

Every contact is important, Debbie. Students like to know that people notice their successes. Contacts from their department head might be another effective way to acknowledge success.

I FIND BY JUST SAYING GOOD MORNING GOOD AFTERNOON GOOD EVENING TO ANY AND ALL STUDENTS I PASS OR THEY PASS BY MY OFFICE. I USUALLY HAVE MY OFFICE DOOR OPEN, SO ALOT OF TIMES STUDENTS WILL JUST STOP AND SAY HELLO. I VISIT THE CLASSROOMS JUST TO SAY HELLO. I MAKE A POINT TO LET ALL THE STUDENTS KNOW MY DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN AND THEY CAN STOP BY ANYTIME. IF I AM BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, THEY WILL KNOCK IF THEY NEED TO SEE ME. SOMETIMES YOU MUST TAKE THE INITIATIVE WITH THE STUDENTS BEFORE THEY WILL OPEN UP TO YOU. YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL, BUT MY METHOD SEEMS TO WORK FOR MOST OF THEM.

I alway try to greet every student that I come in contact with some sort of a greeting, I feel if we lead by example it can only manifest in a positive attitude change

Good approach, Mildred. It's human nature to open up more to people who invite communication by their actions than to others who don't show any interest in connecting.

Teri,

I too am an Academic Advisor. I was getting very weighed down with only working with students that were having concerns or were not attending.
I have started a program called Spotlight. This program "spotlights" 2-3 students per month for going above and beyond in class, attendance, internships, etc.
We are a small school and this allows me to sneak in on weekly instructor meetings and get nominations from instructors for these students. Nominations come in and a week later we vote and then get comments from staff and instructors to put up. I get a photo and some student work from the student's nominated and have gone around to area businesses and received donations and discounted "prizes" for their honors.

It has been great for me to touch base with the high achiever's as well as the students "on my list".

Sounds like a great program, Mandy. Sounds like something graduating students will be able to put on their resume. Can students nominate peers?

Currently the program is set up for instructors only. That is a possibility I look forward to exploring.

Thanks!

I also find talking with students and asking them how everything is going and if they have any concern about anything really helps open them up. Even the ones that don't know me directly.

Sign In to comment