Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Virtually everyone responds favorably when another person shows concern for their well being. How often do you try to meet with students? Is it a formal process for every student?

I agree. We have 'Evaluation' meeting that are set up by the instructors with the students. the next appointment is made at the end of these brief meetings. the time between meetings is determined by the instuctor and the student together.

By Partnering with the student, we solve some problems before they get too far.

Are you involved with these evaluation meetings, Kathryn? What sort of issues are addressed? How do the students feel about the process? Do they respond favorably or do they feel that this an intrusion?

I would ask the students who are doing well to be involved in a mentoring program. It will promote them to report to you their findings and progress with other students and allow you the time to interact with them.

Yes, I tell students to help each other if they have completed the step(s) that a fellow student needs help with, but not to do the work for the student needing help. Both students seem to gain from the experience. This is usually done when I am involved with helping another student.

Is this something you are currently doing, John? If so, what are your results? If not, will you implement this practice soon?

Yes, this is something that I am doing and have done for sometime. I have taught in business schools for 17 years and in public schools for 25 years. I try new things, if they work I repeat them, if not, I throw them out. This works for me, maybe not for you.

This procedure has been more difficult to administer as the rules for teaching have become more restrictive and everyone is told to be on the same page. Teaching is suppose to be a profession. What works for one teacher does not necessarily work for another. Some day this might be realized. Tell a doctor how to operate. If they all had to operate the same way there would be no advancement in the medical profession. Maybe some day teaching will truly become a profession.

I really like this idea! We have a forum, to which students are required to post several times a semester. However, these postings are directly related to coursework and are not necessarily confidential. I'm going to suggest that we begin to utilize something like Coach to provide a venue for confidential, virtual contact for students. I believe this may go a long way in making them feel more comfortable asking questions or discussing issues, rather than feeling "on the spot" with a faculty or staff member.

This form of communication can be very effective for schools willing to make the commitment. Every college in the country tells prospective students that they have a caring, supportive environment. The reality is that they all execute differently. Providing this type of connection with your students can separate you from your competitors.

Picking the right person to serve as Coach is critical. Likewise, developing a delivery system that students will use and feel comfortable with is important. Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of help, Cynthia.

Sign In to comment