Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Attrition from Student Point of View

How does this affect other students in same cohort

I think that the attitudes of the student's peer group have a profound effect on their own educational experience. One outspoken student with a negative outlook can spread that perspective to the group as a whole and effect others perceptions within that group. Therefore, one negative experience can produce other negative ones by producing self-fulfilling expectations. This means that the instructors need to be very proactive in addressing negative sentiments and make it clear that they care about working with the student to resolve the issue. Because, ultimately, whether or not the problem is resolved affects more than only that student. Also, attrition can lead to the loss of study partners which can cause a ripple effect to other students as well affecting their ability to learn.

I agree, its a domino effect when a negative attitude starts to spread. Your response of being proactive seems to be the best defense. Also, if instructors are upbeat and positive and not punitive it will resonate with students

If a student drops out it can affect the attitudes of the other class members. It is the institiutions job to help maintian a positive enviornment in the classroom and the motivation going.

Drops can absolutely have an impact on the rest of the class, I recently had a drop but it actually improved the class attitude. I was not aware but the majority of students felt relief that this person was gone and felt that the atmosphere was more positive. Regardless good or bad it is the instructor's job to keep the attitude positive and not feed into comments about the drops.

I totaly agree the attitude of the instructor is important. Instructors should alwasys remain professional and upbeat no matter how her or she is feeling.

This lecture on stress and attrition has made clear to me the subtle issues leading to the stresses of academic erosion and stagnation resulting in attrition. It also assured me that my approach of encouraging the student not to slack or to do better has been that of positive influencing. A perceived self-importance at which a student might think he/she is more special, different or smarter than the rest, or highly skilled might be very stressful for a competitive student, who suddenly realizes he/she is just as knowledgeable as the rest. The student might see self as less important, less influential, or less highly regarded, and might feel "lost" among other equally or more talented students, and might feel insecure, not influential, and powerless.
It is for that reason, that I do not like to compare students to one another, or make only a particular one feel he/she is more talented than their peers. I praise all students when they do well, being it the smartest one, or the one who struggling reaches the goal. Because I know that no one is perfect, and no one will always do good all the time, and if so than good for them.
I am happy not to have come across a student asking or telling me:" Where is this taking me", "Is this all worth it", "what is my future", or "What am I doing here?" An institution should work at it not being asked those questions, because than the reflection of the school's commitment to the student would not come over as being strong. An institution is to show strong commitment to students by letting students know they are influential - that the institution is very strongly interested to seeing them succeed.For that reason I like to positively influence students by letting them know that sometimes a new beginning might be hard, and that practice makes perfect, but also that they too have a responsibility to contribute to the success of their studies. I greatly enjoyed this module.

Student drop out it does affect the attitudes of other students. They begin to question themselves as to rather they are making the right move to stay or withdraw.

A major impact on student retention is the feeling of acceptance in the class. Helping students to understand that diversity (of all kinds) is a good thing and will add to the learning experience of the class. Many times the concept of inclusion must be used by the instructor to help students understand that the differences and sharing of various experiences help them to grow in their own thoughts and behaviors.

Audra, what are some of the most common barriers to feeling accepted in the class? Is this something you discuss in the classroom?

Drops also cause disruptions in class. Students (as you say)begin to question their choice to stay but also leads to a lot of chit chat between students that cause distractions from the entire purpose of being in class; learning!

Roy, is it important to reduce the chit chat and if important, any thoughts on how to manage the impact of the conversations?

Sign In to comment