Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What can be done to address the student that is not interested in anything school related?

How do you reach a student that is so preoccupied with their home life that school and school related activities become less important

Good question, April. What do you do now? Are you talking about interest in academics or other school activities? The response is quite different depending your response.

I think I would listen to the issues that are so distracting, and then see if I can help them refocus on why they decided to return to school. The initial decision to come back to school was taken for a reason, probably a good reason, and that might need to be remembered.

I think some issues can be 'deflated' just by talking them out and having someone listen. just listen.

No doubt that listening is a powerful tool in building connections with students, Kathryn. By doing some additional probing you can help the student clarify the issues that are bothering them. A useful next step is to help them identify solutions and then encourage them to make the necessary changes. Have you used any of these techniques? If so, what were the results?

My guess if the student is talking to you he/she is interested in school. I believe sometimes students get so overwhelmed with problems they can not see their way out. A simple solution is determining what things they can "take off" their plate and what things need to stay on. sometimes coming up with short success oriented tasks can be helpful. It gives the student a sense of accomplishment. It has been my experience, more so with females that it is very difficult to set boundaries and say "no". We are often raised as caretakers and take care of everyone else's needs except our own. When students can start to set limits, ask for help, feel success when they have accomplished a small task I find it helps.

That's a great approach, Heidi. Your counseling background certainly is evident. Unfortunately, many students haven't learned how to set priorities and boundaries. That becomes an important part of their academic experience and well serve them well in the work place.

HEIDE: I AGREE WITH YOU THAT TO HELP THE STUDENT LOOK AT WHAT THEY CAN TAKE OFF THEIR PLATE AND ALSO THAT ANY TASK THEY ARE SUCCESFUL WITH DOES GIVE THEM A SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT

Sign In to comment