Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Influencing Student Self-Confidence

Based on many years of teaching experience, I find that the first obstacle most students must overcome is a lack of self-confidence. In many instances, I found that once I convinced the student that he/she was capable of comprehending the subject matter, he/she was able to approach learning with a more positive attitude. The results in most cases were remarkable.

In many cases you may be the first person to provide positive encouragement to these students, Nancy. Knowing that their instructor cares is an important first step for students who have not enjoyed great classroom success in the past.

I agree with Nancy. We often have to overcome the student's self-talk that says the new subject he/she is about to learn is really hard and he/she will never understand it. We have to overcome all of the "friends" who also told him/her it was a hard class or a hard instructor. Too many of our students set themselves up to fail simply because they are afraid to try. But like Nancy said if they try, they often surprise themselves

To some degree aren't we all guilty of allowing outside pressures and self doubt to limit our success, Peggy? A major part of classroom – and workplace success – involves overcoming those imposed limitations.

I agree completely that it is a necessary part of the instructor's job to be the student's cheerleader. When I teach business math, I ask the students on the first day who is math phobic. Usually a majority of the hands go up! Then I know who needs additional individual attention. Also, after every quiz and test I show them their current grade and give advice based on their performance. I also double check their attendance individually every couple weeks so there are no surprises for them about our attendance policy. Also, a heavy dose of humor helps them relax in a stressful class.

Nicely done, Cathe. Is tutoring available for those who need extra help? If so, is it done by staff or peers? Do your students stay in touch with you after the business math course is over?

Yes, tutoring is available by several individuals--I ask first that they try to make an appointment with me after class or on Friday (no classes on that day at our school). If they can't meet with me, we have a list of student tutors and I send them to the instructor who is in charge of that. I also publicly identify those students in class who are performing above average (and who have already agreed to tutor) and point the needy student to them. Also, our director of education also teaches this course and I direct them to him as a last resort.

Instilling confidence in students is one of the most important factors contributing to their success. All too often I have seen Instructors meet and/or advise students only under negative circumstances ( failed tests, being "written up" for lack of participation, etc.) More emphasis needs to be placed on encouragement. As a former Instructor, it was my policy to enter written praises on academic records and give a copy to the student, especially after their first two weeks of school. Do not reserve student advising for only when there is a problem. Sometimes just a simple " Keep up the good work"or "you are making wonderful progress" can turn a student around and make them feel like they are truly a valuable part of the class.

Retention is about building connections, Linda, and it is important to have those in place before a student encounters problems. A student needs confidence that there are people at the institution that truly care about their well-being and will be there to celebrate or commiserate.

If we can show that even the lowest can achieve success the problem can be overcome. My experience has been that a task assigned early that can be done correctly (no matter how small) makes a great difference in the student's self esteem.

Nothing succeeds like success, Harold. What sort of assignments do you make to get that important early success?

I totally agree...you must give them praise when they are doing well...it helps to build up their confidence...so when something negative happens we both have a foundation (credibility) to reflect on. I always let my students know when they are doing well or not. Sometimes when all of my students are doing very well on a subject...I will sometimes reward them with a pizza party on me. It does encourage them to continue to do well.

Davida, what specific techniques do you use to praise your students?

I like this idea. It would certainly give the students a great first chance of succeeding.

How do you intend to use the idea, Karen?

I TOTALLY agree. I have only been teaching for a few months(6+),and I must say,YES!! As an other teacher that I work will says,"The power of suggestion is very strong." -But this also works both ways. Think BEFORE you speak,is the hardest thing for me to do. Not that I would ever try to hurt someone,but, students can and may take things the wrong way. As females, I think that most of us are too hard on ourselves. Most humans need praise!

You make a good point, Michelle. Students frequesntly take things that authority figurs say very literally - and very seriously. Unfortunately, they often don't ask for clarification; things said to support a student may actually make things worse because of a misunderstanding. It is important that we be very clear in conversation with them.

First of all, to give students more self-confidence, I let them know that they can do it. I have them repeat it. I give them a testimony about myself, being shy and withdrawn, but I put it in my mind that I can do it and that I will do it, and I was able to finish my course.

I also let the students know that they are doing well when they do a good job in class or when they do well on a test. I also let them know when I see some improvement. I let them know that they are on their way and that they should keep up the good work.

I will keep my eyes open for anyone who is getting frustrated and starting to show a lack of confidence. I will not ignor them, but I will find out what is happening and lend a listening ear. I will offer suggestions. I will let them know they can always come to me if they need help.

I will also let the students know of the progress that they have made thus far. Many students feel much better when they look and see where they have come from and realize if they continue to push forward, they will be able to finish the race.

Keep up the good work, Brenda. You certainly are dedicated to your students.

I agree with you. Sometimes the toughest part of getting students to learn is convincing them that they can. They have been told most of their lives that they can't do anything or do anything right.

Sign In to comment