Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There are alot of students who do not get support from family or friends for their dreams of academic goals. The students do not have role models and no one to talk to. I believe everyone in the institute is responsible for modeling succesful academic behaviors. I feel that instructors can be the most powerful mentors for our students. If we have a good staff and good instructors, these students can succeed.

You're right, Mildred. Many students don't have much support outside of the school. Developing a formal communication system that directs these students to a clearly identified point of contact within the school when they need some re-enforcement is a good next step.

Role models. I like to have my former students who obtained their goals and excellent jobs come in to share their sucess stories. I fell it gives students hope.

If the current students can relate to the graduates, role modeling can be a powerful tool. How do you select the graduates that you invite back, Stephanie?

Not having the support of family and friends when trying to set and acheive goals can be a hugh factor of a students future.
As an instructor, I feel it is my moral obligation to try and be,,a friend,,a big brother,,an uncle,,etc,etc,
It has, in many cases, worked for me and my students.

Being a"friend" can be taken a few ways. It is important to know, in my opinion, what life factors are causing problems in school and even finding resources for students to access. If we become the big brother and begin looking for personal issues or problems that are not manifesting in poor academic or attendance perrformance we run the risk of serving our ego and not or responsibility to the students.

Bill, I have actually told students in these situations that they have to take care of themselves. Do what is in their best interest. Seek outside help or resources for support. I also have told them that sometimes when people, even those we love feel they are being out done, left behind, or just feel threatened by others success they may attack the goals of the loved one.

Being a"friend" can be taken a few ways. It is important to know, in my opinion, what life factors are causing problems in school and even finding resources for students to access. If we become the big brother and begin looking for personal issues or problems that are not manifesting in poor academic or attendance perrformance we run the risk of serving our ego and not or responsibility to the students.

Point well taken, Michael. It is important to maintain a professional relationship with the students. Resources are already limited; the institution is not well served by seeking out unrelated problems.

Maybe have past graduates come by and talk with students. Most of the time students want questions answered from some one who has been through it.

Are you suggesting that graduates come in to talk with a group of students or just with specific students who are struggling? If so, how would this work?

One of the best ways I have found is to host an open house for students and their families or support persons. We set up displays of things that the students are working on, books they use,and proficiencies they are required to complete. Teachers,staff,former graduates are present to answer questions and make a special point to praise the student and tell the support person how important they are in helping them succeed. Everyone gets a pat on the back!

How often do you host these events, Constance? Are they mandatory?

In my experience, I have worked in the field my students will be entering. Sometimes a student needs to realize that he is there because of his commitment and to have a mentor who has succeeded in his chosen field will help them re-realize their goals.

I wonder how many students realize how fortunate they are to have teachers who have worked in the field - who have gone through the experiences that lie ahead for the student. Certainly that isn't the case in most traditional college classrooms.

They are doubly fortunate when the teacher brings a genuine enthusiasm for the field rather looking at themselves as gate keepers charged with keeping people out of the field.

Ask the student to bring in their family member that is unsupportive. If this is done near the end of a course or phase, it can make a huge difference to see what the class has learned and how they progressed. Misery does love company, and peer pressure even from home can be both negative and positive. here is quote for us to ponder:
Rarely do schools acknowledge the power of peer culture in defining standards, and rarely do they take advantage of this power as an engine for quality. When students themselves are in charge of projects that they care about, peer pressure can become a powerful force for high standards.

R. BERGER, Harvard Education Letter

The pressure can work both ways, get that negative family member into the school, show them that learning is easy, challenging, but easy. Let them set their own goal of what is next to learn - they can create their own project on how to make themselves better. I believe that all humans want to be better than they are. It is up to us to show them how to achieve that, whether it is in our school or another school. Teach them and let them learn.

Often parents are afraid their son or daughter will fail and they will have to pick up the pieces. I think the instructor should encorage the student by prasing the students in their attempts wether they succeed or fail. A person is the most vulnerable after a failed attempt and are more apt to quit.

Peer pressure is hard enouph when it comes from freinds, A parent should incorrage their son or daughter not set them up for failer.

I work in a culinary school and have witnessed the family dynamics close up. My nephew attended this school with the support of peers and a multigenerational family; he succeeded. On the other hand, I have witnessed families pull away from from a family member who dreams to succeed in an area atypical to sociocultural norms--a male pastry chef, a female culinary chef. Only those so strong in their belief of self can succeed with these family dynamics.

What can the school or instructors do to help break these stereotypes or culturally imposed barriers?

Sign In to comment