Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention, Reality

Retention is a very complicated subject & there are no easy solutions. If we are honest to ourselves & relate retention to our circumstances then we can find answers to this problem. Unfortunately there are so many situations we may have a solution to theoretically but practically it is not going to happen. Statements like that everything is possible with hard work is good & encouraging but is very hollow & does not mean anything.

Therefore we need to be honest to ourselves & to the students & tell them there is very little chance of success upfront if there are situations which cannot be resolved or student is not a fit for a course

Dr. A

Your discussion on retention is a fact, however; is it fair to say political and economic issues are also factors that play a role in retaining our students. Keep in mind, our changing culture that we face each day with our students. Discipline issues, adequate study habits, and just simply not prepared to attend an adult learning institution in higher education. We have thought of everything to put in place to assist our students. While it is true, should the student be more responisble than us to take care of their studies and obtain their education. Early in this chapter there were discussions concerning who is responsible for retention and it is the same discussion that we have in several of our meetings and that is making students feel there is a value in their education. Basically all of the departments at the school should be conscious and aware of retention and it is all our responsibility. In addition, I think the student have to really want the education more than anything else in the world as long as their basic needs are met. Those basic needs are food, clothes, shelter and transportation. While it is true, Horace Mann Supertindent of education in America during the 19th century begin implementing strategies, curriculums, theories, and classroom management to assist in retention and yet the problem have not been solved. Is retention a solvable problem or only a problem that can be managed? In fact, most of our students do not have support groups or basic needs in order to become self-actualize in order to reach their goals because of our economy. In conclusion, perhaps some students just do not what is required to obtain an education.

Sometimes I think we are doig the students a disservice, as we are not truly preparing them for the workplace. I have never had an employer that babied an employee to keep them. Since they are paying big bucks to learn the skills to make it in the workplace, perhaps we should change our emphasis a little. Teaching the skills needed, which include attendance, effort, etc., and then our graduates would be better performers. Then we would achieve a higher placement rate, and thus attract better potential students.

Being faculty, I cannot say what is being told to students upfront, when they first encounter admissions personel, and whether they convey the expectations of the institution. I do however, try to set realistic goals for my stuents within the classroom, and told them up-front that attendance is important for class success. I also let them know the nature of all assignments, and when they are due. I let them know that success is attainable through hard work and effort, and that "they" are ultimately responsible for their success.

Are you curious about what is being told to students upfront? Not knowing presents a classic opportunity for dissatisfaction. The admissions people must know what's in the curriculum and be expected to present accurate information to prospective students.

Why not invite them to come to the first meeting of your class when you present your expectations and policies to the students?

Loren Kroh

I think this would be a wonderful idea.

I have had an admissions person ask me about test out procedures and content for my IT classes. Often students who are computer savvy think that they can come in and easily pass an introdcution IT class. By asking me about the contents and testout procedure, the admissions person was ablt to give the student information so that they could make an informed decision as to try to spend money to attempt to test out, or take the course.

If a student refuses to come to class, there isn't much more that can be done. However, it is important to understand why they aren't coming. It may be their problem, but it may also be a problem with the institution or instructor.

Retention is a problem that, if any educational institution could solve, it would have the proverbial "bull by the horns." Retention will always be a problem and the best we can ever hope for is to continually seek ways to improve and diminish the attrition. In my opinion, this effort must start at the top and work its way down to the lowest level and include every school employee in between. The first part of this module should be required for every person in the institution, starting with the person at the top. Until he/she believes that retention is a coutinual process rather than a policy that can be dictated, we can "say" that we're working on it, but we won't see any significant improvement.

I agree with Ruth wholeheartedly. As an instructor, I am unaware of what admissions has already told the students; however, I do sometimes hear discontent in the classroom because they realize what they've been told by admissions reps. isn't necessarily accurate. It's easier to get students to enroll when you tell them what they want to hear, but then eventually retention will be a problem, so I think it's better to be realistic up front and enroll only the "right" students. Following this, there would probably be less students enrolling, but the success rate would be greater.

Sign In to comment