Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retension

I try to make my classroom fun for the students but also make them aware that I am going to hold them to a higher standard. I often play or tease students (they know all in fun) but this makes them very comfortable with me. In opening lecture when I give them expectations I also make them aware that I am there for them at any time if they have any type of issue I dont mind them bringing it to me, but I always follow that up with, I may not be able to fix the problem but I might be able to at least make it understandable so you can deal with it. Of course if I can fix it I will do all i can. I have a very good rapor with my students and have been approached on many occations with concerns and Like I said I cant fix all of them but I believe the students have all at least left me with a better understanding of the issue and in most cases we have been able to retain the student and help on to a new carreer.

Retention is everyone's job. Even if they are not instrutors, the learning instituion must be a place of comfort. Students are already stressed out from other things in life, leave alone their academic performance.
When a student walks on campus and is greeted cheerfully by the groundskeeper, staff and other instructors that they have yet to meet, they want to be there.
Once in class (or Lab), I have learned that comparing things to everyday life and mixing in humor will ease the students in sense of comfort. Showing an interest in them as individuals also makes a huge mark. This leads them into better performance, better grades, and willingness to do whatever it takes to stay on top of their class.
Just delivering what admissions and registration has promised them is not enough.

Positive words to live by in any environment, John. The same observations apply to relationships between staff and faculty. Helping students to internalize this type of culture will also serve them well when they enter the work force.

Does your institution have a formal plan to promote this type of behavior? Is there any attempt to introduce the concept to students?

I don't want to say that we have a formal plan per se, though we do have guide lines and expectations. However, we do promote inviting other instructors and staff members to our classes and labs to observe each other, and give feed back afterwards. We have even used "guest" instructors that may have a bit more experience on a particular subject that the class seems to have latched onto.
We all support each other to a point that it is almost a fault. Our success is not just measured by our students getting top honors or even graduating, but their success in life. If, ten years from now, they are using the knowlege and skills gained here, and are supporting themselves and their families, THEN we are successful. We take this very seriously.

I Agree with Don. On the first day of class, I go over the course outline, the rules to which They are to abide by as well as what will be expected for them to be successful in the course. I also let them know that I like having a good time and we can do so as long as it isn't distracting to others and we stay within the topics we are dealing with.
I have had a few time to where I have notice students having difficulties or concerns and have on the side asked them if there was something that was bothering them and if so what it may be. I then try to direct them to the resouses that may offer the student the help needed. I let the department know I have refered the student to them for help and I always make sure to follow up afterwards to see if the guidance was helpful or not.

Setting the course environment for success is vital right from the start. This is the responsibility of the instructor. I am sure we have all had instructors that either "made or ruined" the course for us.

It takes time to gain the trust of a student to either open up to you or to get them to open up. I can counsel most and give them solutions, and give them the proper tools. These are the first students to either have attendance problems and drop. They cannot or have a hard time adapting to a regulated life style. I can honestly say that during the admission process most of these students go un noticed ( I am not blaming admissions). So how do you know how to help and teach a student with these issues while keeping the rest of the students happy. Is this a complex issue or a normal issue?

Many institutions have courses that teach some of the basic skills that many of our students lack: time management, goal setting, self discipline, etc. Hopefully, this introduction will be enough to get students off on the right foot. For those who need additional support, it provides a basis for discussion and development. In some cases, they can learn from their peers who share best practices.

I try very hard to provide student friendly envirement nad engage my students with the class metarial thus help our student stay currrent

I also try hard to provide a friendly environment as well as introduce myself, my career in which they are learning and how I am excited about helping them to learn. I always, always let them know in announcements to email me with any questions or problems. I also have created a Forum so they can all ask questions and I will answer them or allow students to answer them to help their fellow classmates out. I keep an open line of communication with my students at all times so if any problems do arise, they are comfortable emailing me.

Sign In to comment