Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention

It is not an easy thing to do. I am working on it constantly. If someone just decides to drop, because they don't have money, or just because they've decided not to go to school and they don't want to give you anymore information? What can you do? Any suggestions?

When a student has decided to stop talking it is very difficult to change their minds. The key is to address issues before the student gets to this point. Also, even though a student has stopped talking with one person within the school doesn't mean that others can't reach the student. An integrated team approach is more effective than people working alone.

There are no sure fire solutions for retention. The reasons for students dropping out can vary from student to student, like night and day. Of course maintaining a stable learning environment has got to be the basic foundation for retaining students. (Remember students can smell disorganization) Now assuming that there are no environmental issues at hand, the reasons for students’ individual retention problems can vary greatly. There fore each student of concern must be approached on a case by case basis.

I have students drop out due to caring for a family member with a terminal illness. What can you tell the student in this case? As an instructor, Ican show empathy by providing support for the student as he/she withdraws from the program by referring to counseling services at my school if one is available since I am not trained in this area.

Obviously, this is a tough situation. Hopefully, you [the institution] can refer the student to community resources that will be useful for the family.

The student also will need guidance to protect their opportunity to return when circumstances allow.

You need to be a dynamic instructor, not only getting the material across but help them to become better themselves. I dont feel it matters if they have a personal issue,family or partying problems. Getting to know your students as soon as you can will make it possible to help with any kind of problem they might have.Share some life experences with the class or on a one on one basis early in the semester. Teach them how to be responsible and problem solvers, not just how to remember material for a test.

You need to be a dynamic instructor, not only getting the material across but help them to become better themselves. I dont feel it matters if they have a personal issue,family or partying problems. Getting to know your students as soon as you can will make it possible to help with any kind of problem they might have.Share some life experences with the class or on a one on one basis early in the semester. Teach them how to be responsible and problem solvers, not just how to remember material for a test.

Aaron, are you saying that being dynamic and getting to know students quickly will overcome the impact of personal or family issues? Has that been your experience?

I agree, very often if you cannot reach a student, one way is to contact another instructor and may be the student will open up to him or her just because. It is worth to try.

Sign In to comment