Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention of Students whose Priorities are not in order

Why do students attend school? I thought to learn and better themselves. While this is true among a certain population, it seems that more and more young students are looking for a handout and not a challenge. What do we do? Do we hold their hand and coddle them, or do we get tough. It seems that if we get tough, these students leave and don't come back. But what do they expect from the "real world", and aren't we supposed to prepare them for this environment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone able to offer any suggestions to Peter?

Students come for a variety of reasons. While it is true some enter for the "Welfare voucher," for parole obligations, or "for the check," many are enrolled without a clear focus of expectations. It is our responsibility (by our, I mean all staff members)to not only teach viable skills that make them marketable in the business world, but to also constantly reinforce to them why the class is important, how it will affect their future success, and how they can apply those skills to personal problem solving.

You're right, Nancy. Many of our students – particularly the ones you reference - don't have an appropriate frame of reference to understand why they need the knowledge offered in class and/or how the workplace values those skills.

It seems that many students are too blinded by personal issues to focus on the true purpose for attending school. Many students start with a high level of excitement, which we foster in the beginning with orientation and first day surveys. Then as time passes (I've noticed a change in as little as two weeks) the student feels under pressure and overwhelmed. I would like to see a follow-up session with new students after they have settled in a bit. This will allow a chance to check on the early progress of students and reiterate what the student can expect from the school and what the school expects from the student.

If you expect nothing, you will get nothing.

Expect the best from your students and let them know what you expect and they will rise to the challenge

I agree, Robert. Everyone needs to know what is expected to be successful and they will respond.

As an educator, I have seen many students who's priorities are not yet developed. They enroll to avoid situations like: working, being thrown out of their parent's home, or being incarcerated.
I believe we must remain tough and set realistic expectations. The student may not appreciate our efforts at the time and drop out. But, hopefully we have reached them at some level by being caring and realistic. These students often return at a later date when they have their "act" together.

I certainly agree with setting realistic expectations, Margaret, but the only way students will realize that you care is by experiencing that caring. I much prefer being firm to being tough. If school is tough, like many of their lives have been tough, why would a student want to volunteer for another failure?

I agree that we should be tough on the students. Our institute has implemented new rules for attendance, dress code, and student conduct. These rules are to make the students more responsible and to be prepared for the workforce.

I agree we should be tough on students and I know we can't coddle them. I also think we need to remind them that there is help for many of the obstacles they may encounter during there time as a student.

Implementing new rules for attendance, dress code, and student conduct “to make students more responsible and prepared for the workforce” suggests that the old rules didn't do that, Audrey. This forum is about what your institution does to assure that student expectations are being met and that they are satisfied. Typically, career schools promote an educational environment that prepares students for the workplace. How did your institution handle telling the students about the new regulations?

Sallie, the schools with the best retention rates are the ones that are firm and fair. They also work to support their students when they encounter obstacles. What does your institution do to assure students feel policies are firm and fair vs. tough? What does it do to remind students about available services?

My teaching methods are strict and realistic. I feel this is very important to prepare students for the high-pressured medical field.
I may be demanding, but my students know I care about them and their future. We have a professional open relationship where I am available to them 24/7 for academic and/or personal help. This has intruded on my time, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Our institution would explain the reason behind the policies if they were questioned. Sometimes policies are in order due to past issues. The students are directed to our student information board for services available and are told to see the staff if they need anything else.

It is sometimes difficult to find the "middle ground".Being too tough could cost you students.Being too soft will not help your students in the long run and may cost you their respect.It can be quite difficult to know where to draw the line.

That's the magic of a good instructor, Joanna. To complicate matters even more, the balance point is a moving target and is different for different students or a different times.

One day after class wrapped up I was speaking with one of my students and they commented on how they don't appreciate instructors that give A's so freely. I was astonished because I know I have a number of students who feel that just because they are making the sacrifice to be at school they should receive an A or at least a passing grade. It was refreshing to hear that a student wants to work for his/her grade. The student let me know how much they appreciated how I pushed them on a daily basis. This has definitely changed my perspective.

Great lesson, Bonnie. Many students do get upset about easy grading and the unreasonable expectations of some of their classmates. Grades are not a reward for attendance or deportment. They are a reflection of a student's mastery of competencies that they will need in his/her career. Employers also appreciate instructors who push students to learn the needed skills.

Helping the students understanding the entire course and how it relates to their future success are key for my instructing.

Sign In to comment