Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Bob - I have always enjoyed your suggestions. That one is right on!!

I agree. I think that students feel as if they are wined and dined for the first several weeks and then are dropped flat. We have to find a way to not overwhelm them at first and yet continue to give them attention and information that they need.

Over 90% of the traditional higher ed institutions offer some sort of first year experience course to students in their first semester. These courses focus on providing the tools and resources that students need to succeed.[ex. communication skills, time and stress management techniques, study skills, budgeting, etc. as well as an introduction to campus services] There is a growing trend to extend into the second semester or even into the second year. Part of the objective is to keep close contact with this cohort.

Career schools aren't as likely to have these courses, arguing that there isn't enough time in the curriculum. However, the skills included in these courses are quite relevent to student success in the classroom and the work place.

Mastering these skills is one way to avoid being overwhelmed as the work load increases. It also may help students understand the resources that are available to them when the pressure builds.

Has your school developed any initiatives to even out the student experience, Kathryn?

I try to give a "real world" perspective to my students. I cite examples of work experiences that I have had and relate that to what they are learning at the time to authenticate the curriculum. I also speak about a good work ethic -that means you don't wait to be told to jump in and do your part you take the initiative. Many of our students come to us with poor work ethics and that to me needs to be corrected before we send them out into the real work world. Students who need improvement in this are asked to come in for a conference. In many cases this one-on-one effects a change for the better.

Your approach exemplifies the career school sector. Bringing the concepts to life is an important part of the educational experience.

How often do you have to have conferences with your students? What do you tell them and how do they react?

I agree but they also come in with a different attitude towards life. One example is a student whose electricity had been cut off, she just went to another relatives house to stay while she got the money together to pay the bill@!!!!!!!! I can't imagine such a gypsy like existence!!

I have often marveled at the resiliency of our some of our students. Many deal with daily obstacles that are unknown to most of us. If we were aware of these issues, maybe we would be more understanding of their performance.

Is there a system in place at your school to connect these students with resources that can help them? If so, how does it work?

You've got to realize that there is a certian group of students who want to delay their engagement into the "real world". These students are not interested in education as much as they are in playing around. So, the statement about getting tough and the students not coming back, and think about this, as an educator, what kind of product is put into the industry if we dont get tough? Yeah, retention is important and all, but at what expense?

Just today over lunch, some of my co-workers and I were discussing whether education was a right or a privilege. While in the end we did not answer our question, we did realize that a lot of students who are looking for “hand outs” view it as a right. They are here, they paid, now give them an A. It is a struggle to explain to these students that, by giving them an A – or even a D – we are giving them nothing. At the end, they will not have learned and will not be successful in their chosen career; and the money they spent will be for nothing.

Great debate points, Kate. Would you please summarize the primary points supporting right and privilege? I suspect there will be a lot of different perspectives on this issue.

When meeting with problem students, I frequently told them that attendance at the school was a matter of mutual satisfaction. I could tell by their behavior that they weren't satisfied, but I wanted them to know that we weren't satisfied either and that some changes would have to be made. This usually got their attention and helped frame the ensuing conversation.

Some of our students are enrolled primarily for the benefits they get from the G.I. bill or other entitlement programs. The longer it takes for them to get through school, the longer they can delay dealing with the real world.

When possible, one of my strategies is to create a realistic working environment within the classroom. By doing so, students without any first hand working experience develop time management and organizational skills by learning how to complete assigned tasks in the time allotted. In addition, students develop a sense of accomplishment and an “I can do this” attitude.

I had a similar situation as well where a student decided to change sections cause in the other class the instructor was handing out straight A to all the students for just showing up. The student though that was unfair and didnt feel was getting the best out of the class. Now even though that student grade isn't exactly a perfect score it's more realistic so the student is happy because it is a reflection of her/his progress.

Shamar, what subjects do you teach? How are you able to create a realistic working environment? Do you grade on the students' performance in these situations?

Loren Kroh

Students really do want to earn their grades and appreciate a candid evaluation of their skills. Is anything being done about the other instructor who is handing out A's for showing up?

Sign In to comment