Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Expectations

When students start in any new environment, they bring with them a set of expectations that may be unrealistic or unatainable. In our orientation sessions, we discuss with the students not only what we expect of them and what they can expect of us, but what do they expect to happen while they are with us.

We also help them realize some of the common reasons that students drop out. (eg. transportation, child care, lack of commitment, work responsiblities, educational deficiencies, etcetera) We then help them come up with alternative plans and systems so when they encounter these issues they are prepared instead of surprised.

What methods do others use to help determine and focus the expectations of incoming students?

You mention that during orientation you talk with students about common reasons for attrition. Then student alternative plans are discussed. Are the instructors present at orientation? If not, how can these same issues be communicated to the instructors?

New instructors are encouraged to attend at least one orientation session so they can observe the methods used and the responses given from new students. They are invited to attend as often as they want to after that.

We also conduct a mandatory 16 hour training workshop session for all instructors prior to being in the classroom. We cover these issues with them at that time. Part of the training includes asking the students what 'backup' plans the students have when the meet with them the first time so the students are hearing the same story from all of us.

Welcome to RT101, Bill.

It certainly seems that you and your colleagues are aware of many of the problems that entering students face. Your approach to managing expectations is a good one.

Hopefully, other participants will respond to your question about other methods. I might add having recent graduates come back to meet with new students can be an effective way to modulate expectations and demonstrate what success looks like.

All students are required to attend a New Student Orientation, which provides the student with realistic expectations of post-secondary education. Students are provided with an overview of the policies and procedures of the institution, in addition to other useful information such as, time managment.

It is important for students to have an understanding of the obstacles they may encounter as students, as well as, a support system for overcoming these obstacles.

These are important issues for students to come to grip with as soon as possible, Anie. Some students don't know what to expect and can benefit from early awareness. How long is your Orientation program? Is it part of your curriculum?

Bill Shenenberger commented on how students start in a new environment and bring with them a set of expectations that may not be readily achieved. I agree with him in both counts. ^-) First those student expectations may be unrealistic and second they may be unattainable.

In reading it, I thought “wow” I can relate to that, why, because during the day I am a substitute teacher in our public schools, elementary through high school both in the inter-city and suburb schools.

Many students coming out of high school have neither the academic skills nor the behavior attitudes needed to be successful not just in college, but in the work place. Many public school teachers complain that those days of strictly teaching academics are long gone. Teachers now have to teach manners, proper attitude behavior and the difference between right and wrong which isn't being taught at home. Public school teachers now spend 60% of their time in dealing with discipline. L I find that my experience in handling high school students helps me with my college students at night : - (

Every college teacher should spend time visiting our public schools to learn first hand the types of students they will be getting in their classroom. They need to have an understanding of this generation in order to know where the students are coming from, where they are at, and where they are going.

I believe that as students enter their new college environment that the first quarter should be used to teach communication, life skills, politeness, courtesy, proper behavior and a host of other things. In addition we should offer those basic skills of high school English and math to those who need it. Students need to be advised that this is a second chance of learning those skills that were not adequately learned in high school. These skills will be needed in the work place.

I think that even those students who have been out of high school awhile would also benefit from a transition quarter in re-developing their English and math skills as well as learn proper communication methods needed to be able to fit into a college environment and learn those skills of receptive responses that are needed in today's job market.

Joseph, the proprietary sector is not alone in dealing with these issues. I am responding to your entry from the annual conference on the First-Year Experience. There are over 1200 attendees, almost exclusively from the traditional higher ed sector, sharing best practice that address the issues you have identified.

I work at the same institution as Bill and we are in the process of updating the orientation program to include a written plan to overcome certain obstacles that the students may expect to occur.

They must write out the problem and then write out a plan to overcome the problem should it actually occur. In addition we ask them to prepare a "Plan B" in case their 1st plan fails.

We have some suggestions based on experience, however, we encourage the students to come up with original solutions.

Anyone want to comment?

Interesting, proactive approach, Robert. Challenging students to anticipate the future and plan for it gives them a role in preparing for their own success. Do you ever get any push back from students who think everything in their world is perfect?

I totally agree with you!

I strongly feel Instructor need to be at the orientation. We are now incorporating this method in our institution.

I strongly believe that new students need to meet and greet their instructors.

I always let me students know on their first day what they can expect from me and what I expect from them.

EXPECTATIONS!

Diane, how long is your orientation? When does it happen – first day of class, before classes begin? Is orientation mandatory?

That is a very good question. I too would like to know the answer to this.

What techniques do you use to form student expectations, Jo?

Hey Bill, Mike Foy ex-CLC now DOE Cittone. I ensure from orientation on they are treated as they are on the job. They have consequence for being absent or tardy on a regular basis. They are recognized an presented awards for their achievements. However, awards are not automatic. The top tier awards really must require effort, performance and the achievers must be given public recognition.
I begin my orientation by bringing home the reasons they are there, family,a better life etc., and the difference between a job, read McDonalds, and their new career, read attaining the aforementioned goals. I further explain to them that school is their current and most important job and that their career is the reward for diligence and effort.

This idea of planning in advance how a student might overcome an obstacle is great..Think I'll try to incorporate this in our school's orientation.

What does that process look like, Karen? How will you help students identify obstacles? Will you try to link them with resources during orientation or put them on a ‘watch list'?

I think these are some great ideas for orientation. At the moment all we do is tell them the rules and meet the staff. We also ask current students to come and speak, usually it is the model student that volunteers and we don't need to worry about that studet dropping. I like the problem solving idea for orientation!

Orientation is a time when many students affirm their decision about your school, Yahaira. Although they have completed the paperwork, they usually have lingering doubts about how they will fit in and if they will like the experience. A simple ‘thou shalt not' session won't get them very excited. Have you thought about asking your current students what they wanted to know at orientation and what type of activities they would like?

I have orientations prior to class start and go over expectations and talk about some of the feelings that they may encounter during the first weeks. I talk about problems that may arise that could interfere with their success, however, having them write out the problem and writing a plan to overcome it makes a lot of sense. Do you have them share these during this session? Sharing them may help someone else.

Sign In to comment