Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Your experience as a student can definitely benefit your students. You have the ability to not only walk in their shoes, but you have the staff perspective that can provide a deeper understanding of their needs and the benefits your school has to offer. I also find your comment about doing too much for the students very interesting. There is a fine line between supporting our students and empowering them to make their own decisions. What can you do to both support AND empower your students?

I try to reach out to each individual customer and always be attentive

Thanks for sharing Jamie. When you reach out to each individual customer what can you specifically say or do to help build value for them?

I create value by not only meeting with each student for their financial aid appointment,but following up with them afterwards. I speak with them again at various points of time before they start school after their appointment, to be sure they don't have any questions, and continue to have contact with them after they start. I would like to participate more in the non-formal interactions with students, during their celebrations, etc, so that I can get to know the students even further, and foster a closer raletionship with them, so that they feel comfortable coming to me with any concerns or issues they may have.

Communicate, communicate, and communicate some more! I find that by keeping the communication open, students (who are my primary customers) feel valued.

Next comes listening. In these days there are so many challenges that students face. By hearing to what they are facing, I can better support their academic life her at school.

Although I am very aware that these 2 things need to occur, I find myself bogged down with administrative duties that leave minimal time for interactions withe the student body. I need to learn ways to better prioritize tasks to ensure I have more face time with students.

Laura you're not alone in this struggle for balance. I think you're right, taking the time to listen to your students and keeping the lines of communication open are so important and necessary; however, the administrative duties are important too. Let's open it up to the forum - how have others balanced their workload and been able to meet the needs of their students and completed the necessary administrative work?

What a terrific approach Miriah! How do you think this approach and the relationship you build with your students helps them as they go through their college experience?

We live in an environment of open source and crowdsourcing and engagement and participation--why not look at innovation as an investment in our customers, as a way to add value to our customers, not just as a way to provide value for our customers.

Great idea Michael! Thank you for your contribution to the forum.

I create value by offering unbiased advice. I enthusiastically support those students that are right for my school. But I am candid with those who are not and offer insight for their search. The section on Internal Customer service was helpful in reminding me of my commitment to the part I play in the success of my colleagues on campus.

Kevin,
I'll bet your students appreciate your honesty and hopefully understand that your candid approach and support to find the right school is a great service. How do you bring that same level of service to your internal customers?

Dr. Jean Norris

Creating personable relationships with our customers has been very instrumental. I find more people are more likely to relate to others when they know that initial connection is made and it is a positive one. When our customers feel like "we are on the same team" they are comfortable in sharing what they feel will help our program & the service we provide. It really is important that the whole institution exhuberates positive and welcoming energy so all our customers feel like they can share their feedback.

Very well said Janice! Personal connection helps to establish rapport and trust. I think most people would rather work with someone with whom they have established rapport and trust rather than an unknown person. How does your team build rapport and build those personal relationships?

Dr. Jean Norris

Being in relationship is key at our campus. We want the prospective as well as current student to feel welcome and comfortable as well as knowing that they are important to us and we value how they feel while they are here with us.

Roberta,
Positive, reinforcing relationships are one of the reasons I believe career colleges and schools play such a vital role in the fabric of America. Students often do not receive this kind of attention in other educational structures. What do you think?

Dr. Jean Norris

It is sad, but we see students every day that get no positive reinforcement or encouragement outside of our school. How are they going to learn to have compassion for another human being if it isn't shown to them?

We create value by setting high customer service standards and frequently use of mystery shoppers. We will implement more internal training to ensure consistency in the deliverance of high customer services.

While my school values communication as #1 (my personal preference as well, especially 1 on 1)I do get bogged down in the constant reporting, paperwork, meetings, etc... that I think we all do. I also find myself taking students for granted when I am tired or making assumptions about their needs before I talk to them.
My goal for 2014 is to come to work each day not only with the desire to provide outstanding customer service, but to maintain a beginners mind - always open to learning about and from my students and taking in their feedback so I can better serve them.
Being more organized with the reporting and tracking will help me find some breathing room in my schedule so that I can find at least 15 minutes a day to hang out with students on a break or at lunch for more face time. I am always available during their lunch hour in case they need anything as well.
The customer(Student) defines the service they require and each one is different. I will strive to hear and meet each individual need.

Roberta,
That is indeed a sad circumstance. I'm sure this is shared with many who work in the career college sector, too. Any ideas on how those who come in contact with students can be that positive reinforcement they need?

Dr. Jean Norris

Jason,
Sounds like a solid plan. As mentioned, it's also helpful to continually share all the good things found in mystery shopping, too. People tend to be fearful of the practice when it can be used to celebrate great service!

Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment