Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Value of Work-Based Learning | Origin: CS130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Work-Based Learning Programs - First Steps --> The Value of Work-Based Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I like how worked based learning provides benefits to more then just the student.  You can see how other stakeholders benefit, parents, employers, educators, and of course students. 

I learned about the different roles in Work-Based Learning programs and the 3 stages of the work-based learn continum. I am curious about the employer's work-based learning orientation and how that is conducted. In person meeting? A form to be filled out? A one-on-one meeting with the employer by the work-based learning coordinator?

The various components of work-based learning include phases that can help build student success in learning more before deciding on a career.  How does one work with employers who are hesitant about offering internships and apprenticeships to juniors and seniors who are under 18 years of age?

Structuring a positive experience for the student and the mentor/business partner/on-site supervisor requires us to think through and specifically name the outcomes. They're the basis for measuring the student's growth and will help a person who may not be familiar or comfortable working with young people know what to do. 

I thought this first module/section and its subsections was interesting. Working in NJ, I kind of feel descriptions and examples of career awareness were similar to what we use. Note: Of multiple WBL models shown as figures/flowcharts at one point, GA was closest to NJ. I also feel, in NJ, there may be a difference in how we talk about/perceive career exploration activities vs. career preparation activities, i.e., NJ includes various topical trainings (in-person and online) in the career exploration phase. We also have in NJ a career preparation phase, with next step including pre-apprenticeship-to-apprenticeship positions (registered with USDOL). Finally, I appreciated the description of service-learning (SL)--and how it goes beyond community service/volunteering--as well as the link to read NYLC's eight (8) SL standards.

This first module did a great job of identifying the different components and definitions associated with work-based learning. I appreciated the different models shared and how work-based learning can begin as early as elementary school with the introduction of career awareness activites such as industry tours, guest speakers and field trips (North Dakota model). 

I am passionate about career-connected learning and work-based learning opportunities for students.  This  is crucial for a student to have the knowledge to make an appropriate decision about post-secondary options.  Anytime I read materials defining WBL, and providing additional methods to categorize and explain what, exactly, WBL is and what the benefits are, I feel better equipped to convey to my colleagues, classroom teachers and both district and school-based admin staff members.

I appreciated the layout of the course to differentiate among the various WBL opportunities.  I plan on using this information for training our WBL committee on the differences and to help to set a clear definition & expectation of knowledge as well.  The ready to view resources were also very helpful in brainstorming and creating ideas for the WBL forms for the various experiences.  I will definitely be using this as examples as we create our WBL program/intermediary site. 

I learned that WBL programs are a way to meld together academic learning with experiences in the real world in real-time.

I really like the different models that were presented and the resources - very helpful for evaluating our developing program.  

I like the different steps to getting students ready for work-based learning. It is a relief that it is a step-by-step process instead of all at once.

As someone who works primarily with juniors and seniors, I appreciated the focus on the continuum of WBL experiences as I feel that career exploration in primary and middle school is so important. 

I feel it was useful to distinguish the phases of the WBL continuum and to identify phase-specific WBL activities appropriate for the objective of each phase. Assisting students in their career exploration to find areas of interest and aligning authentic opportunities and experiences seems to be the key.

I learned how to establish a supportive workplace where people can excel in their roles and acquire new skills while performing their duties, which could lead to greater productivity and business success.

I liked the description of job shadowing being more meaningful that just a business tour.

I liked reading about career exploration and the importance of the connection to students career pathways. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities