Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great idea, Joanna. It's shocking how little students know about many things. But that is why they are in school and why career schools have to offer a depth and breadth of placement services. We like the idea of students doing research that is helpful to others and builds urls. Why not have a contest to see who can come up with the best list? And let's keep in mind that internet may not always be the best way to find employment. So maybe a contest for a list of other job resrouces in your community. Thanks, Susan

I have already been in contact with my program supervisors and many are excited about the externship opportunities I’m hoping to line up. Due to program requirements, we are not able to offer internships – but if students can complete course projects for a company in lieu of sitting in class, it’s a benefit all around.

For example, we currently have a student working on their commercial architectural design project for a local church. They work directly with the church to find out what they want and need and are designing a project that will actually be built out (with instructors’ assistance).

There is also opportunity for smaller companies who want to build their business and nurture students into the technician that would be a great fit for their company – who knows, in the 6 weeks they use the student, they might find that they can’t live without them 

Hi Joanie, Externships are essential for all programs in our opinion. And set up with the goal of 100% placement from the externship site. Yes, it is possible! Just work with the externship site coordinators and set that expectation. And set that expectation with the students. The externship site is one long interview. So they have to be the best.And reminder that externships should be offered to out of work alumni as well. Thanks, Susan

In our programs our instructors work with their stdents on lots of things that has to do with placement. We try to teach our students that in some cases they need to change the way of thinking, they have the oprtunity to change their lives. What they are doing it changes not only their lifes but also their familiy lifes too.Instructor encourage students to visit the placement dep , also to use all the tools that are on the bulletin borads on class

Hi Fernando. You pointed to the importance of everyone at school getting involved in providing employment skills training for students. You are right that students need to change their ways of thinking and gain self confidence. This takes time. That's why we believe that placement assignments should be required throughout the student's stay at the school. The goal is a skilled and confident grad who believes s/he can negotiate the best job and not merely accept what is offered. Thanks, Susan

Our Career Services Department currently teaches most of our Career Management classes which I see as very key to the success of our students. Not only do we get to know our students even more then we already do, but we really get to drive it home how important the class is. This is the capstone class to their education at our school and who better to teach and explain it then those who are going to be helping them once graduation is upon them.

Dana,
I think this is a great approach to take, one I wish more would explore. I'm also curious, how do you help your instructors to drive home this message of career planning throughout their interactions with students?
Ryan
(in for Susan)

I believe the instructors know how important career planning is - everyone knows students who come here are looking for a change in their lives and the ultimate goal is graduation so they can make that change. All the classes which are taught are a step towards the goal of graduation so career planning and future are on the minds of the instructors as they are teaching. Everyone in the school knows each departments function and its role, so we all help when we can to get the message of every department out to the students when we can.

This sounds great. But are the instructors provided with career and employment training learning objectives for their classes and also learning materials? Instructors usually work in addition to teach and can bring a lot of the workplace into the classroom. But we find they have to be coached on how to do that effectively. And the "lessons" have to be coordinated to ensure the grad has the requisite skills for that first job interview. Thanks, Susan

We feel that instructors are great for providing job search skills training. They can give students a feel for the workplace. But instructors need learning objectives and learning materials to make this happen. Thanks, Susan

Classes are great in our opinion. Also assignments. But we have seen them be succssful when they are given throughout training and not just at the end. And when all assignments are required. Thanks, Susan

Actually, I go into the classrooms and present Career Services material myself. I feel like this gives me a chance to interact with all of the students and to meet with them on my time. It also allows me to decide what topics we will discuss at specific times of their studies. For instance, I will go into the intro classes and introduce myself, talk about what my department does and start to lay the groundwork for how important early preparation is for finding a job. The students, for one reason or another, sometimes think that I will just find them a job when they graduate. They think that I have a bank full of jobs and connections that I can just pull from when their time comes. Going into the classrooms is a great way to make them understand that we are both equal parts of the equation. They will need to put in just as much work as I do to find a job.

Great strategy, Bonnie. By going into the classrooms you discover first hand the expectations and abilities of the students. Yes, they do all expect that a job comes with the tuition. They don't realize the preparation it takes and effort on their part. That's a good reason to meet with students early on. And sometimes the only way you can get to them is in their classrooms. Another reason why we think the placement activities and assignments need to be required. Everyone needs to know the job search process isn't a brief activity that happens after the last course. It takes daily homework! Thanks, Susan

We do a lot of activities and self assesment exercises in our Job Seeking Skills course that the students are required to take at our school. We do a screening in/screening out activity where the students actively participate, mock interviews with evaluations and feedback, skills worksheets and checklists, filling out applications correctly, and resume, cover letter and thank you letter workshops. The list goes on at our school since it is a 6 week course. I think it is really helpful for our students.

Hi Heather, We like the idea that job skills training is required. It shows students that training for the job search is as important as learning the career skills. It's great that your program covers 6 weeks. It can take that long and beyond for students to gain confidence, which is also essential in the job search. We believe that grads need to review the job interview with placement to see what went right and what needs to be fixed. In this way you stay in touch through the job offer. And we are very convinced that staying in touch with grads and treating them as alumni has many benefits. You never know when they need assistance again. Or can introduce you to their hiring decision makers. Thanks, Susan

There is a Career Development class the students take as part of the curriculum at our college. Resume writing is a portion of the class, however, I feel it can be improved upon. I would like to offer three to five templates the students can choose from while creating the resume in class and then they can email Placement Services the finished product. That way, there are no questions as to what needs to be put on the resume. Information regarding certification would also be helpful to distribute during class including websites that the students can access and read on their own.

HI Vanessa, Good idea about providing templates for resumes and letting the students see which is the best "fit" for them. Resume building is just one small part of employment skills training. There is a lot to offer re work ethics like showing up on time, appropriate dress, how to write cover letters, interview, negotiate, follow up, how to stay on the job, and all the ways to find out where the job is. That's why we feel that career services assignments should be required and at least 10 weeks long. Thanks, Susan

We have a Professional Development program where the students are training in how gettin an interview, mock interviews, prepare their resumes and dress for success. As a Director of Placement I visited during the modul to talk to them and let them know the skills that the employers are expecting to find ina new employee, as well as, offer them places to do volunteer hours in order to get experience and get a reference for the future. Usually this opportunity bring the students confident and also the opportunity to be hired or recommended to work with other companies in their field. As I school we have received wonderful feedbacks with this system.

This plan sounds great. Students need lots of training over a period of time. Not just a workshop or two. Great idea to talk about the skills employers want in a new employee. Have you thought about getting employers to visit your school and talk about what they are looking for? Voluneteering is a great way to get experience and references. Ideally the work is job related and organized. And yes, great way to help build confidence. Yes, I would think you would get great feedback for this plan. Are you measuring outcomes? Thanks, Susan

As a career Services director, I design workshops that address many different topics such as:
1. How to create/update a resume
2. How to create a dynamic cover letter
3. Thank you for the interview letter
4. Staying focused and poised during the interview process
5. Reviewing with the students common interview questions and assisting them with formulating responses
6. Putting together a portfolio

We also have our instructors discuss professionalism with our students through out there education process.
Elizabeth Erwin

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities