Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi James, Interesting idea. Often instructors need some encouragement and how to's to set up meaningful field trips. But once you do that, the strategies can be used by all instructors. Yes, a student has to see the broad opportunities of their training and also stay focused on the industry they are training for. Thanks, Susan

Actually the Placement Assistance department gives the classroom instruction session where it pertains to job placement. After the introductory session at the beginning of the program, we do a Resume Development session halfway through. Next is Interviewing Skills coupled with one-on-one "mock interviews" offered to students. Last session is an "on-line" on-line job search training session with a laptop hooked to the classroom projection system so we can walk the students through the various job boards, an on-line application, social networking sites and research tools in realtime. We also discuss follow-up, how important it is both before and after the interview.

Hi Laura
Sounds like you have a great program with several learning opportunities. How are placement results? What do grads indicate they would have liked to have as employment skills training. How quickly do they find employment? All this analysis will help point to the effectiveness of your placement program. Thanks, Susan

I am finding value in helping the students understand that their instructors are potential references for their next job and a great person to start with in their networking efforts. I make this sort of statement in the classroom as I am conducting one of the four job placement classroom presentations. The instructor is present and has prior knowledge that I am going to make this sort of statement with their approval. Often times the instructor will drop a few golden nuggets regarding the job search and what is valuable to an employer. In addition, instructors know I value their thoughts and input regarding how students can be helped with their job search. As a result, I find the outstanding students are pointed out to me by the instructors. When that happens, I will suggest to the outstanding student that they ask the instructor if they can use them as a reference.

Hi Carey
This is great - using instructors as part of the placement process. We believe that instructors should talk about life on the job and interlace talk about work throughout their teaching. Students have to be reminded daily that what they learn in class is what they need to be successful on the job. It's a great idea for the instructor to write references for the students. Often this is the only reference the student will have. And we like that you give placement presentations in classes ( is that for each course?) 4 times a term or session. And it's great that you get the buy in from the instructors. Instructors can be a rich source for employment skills training. Thanks, Susan

Professionalism, resumes, retention, importance of being on time at the job.

Hi Iva
Very good. We also think that every course should have a focus on keeping students eyes on the job. That means paying attention to professionalism and work ethics like being on time. And talking about what it is like at work. Typically instructors work themselves. So they have the opportunity to talk about a typical workday - the ups and downs and how to deal with challenges. This is great for retention too. STudents keep their focus on graduation day. Thanks, Susan

As a career services representative, I can be a facilitator and coordinate with the school faculty and administrative staff to develop lessons plans that will integrate the program coursework with career placement. Preparing for and providing career placement education through classes, internet exercises using search engines to discover employment listings and requirements, seminars to provide hands on trainings on resume writing and interview skills, field trips to discover real life experiences, and guest speakers to motivate and answer related questions, the students will be able to develop and empower themselves with research, writing and oral skills that will boost their confidence and get them ready for interviews and job placements.
Visiting employers is crucial in that it exposes the student to real time life experiences. Guest speakers provide motivational and goal setting ideas plus the opportunity to have topic related questions answered.

Lesson plans can include videos and movies related to career placement and discussions on the skills viewed to further enhance the learning experience. Other activities that can be assigned to students include (i) interviewing industry professionals and writing a about the experience; role playing and mock interviews; and videotaping interview exercises for self-evaluation.

Hi Ivonne, Great that you are working with faculty to integrate employment skills training into the classroom. You have many great strategies so students learn the skills and gain confidence. Are all your offerings required? We find that to be effective the students must be required to complete all excercises and employment skills tasks. Then they take it all seriously and of course benefit. Yes, all exposure to employers is very important. Makes the employers human and the employers can give practical tips about how to be effective on the interview. Your students have every opportunity to be successful. Really great. Susan

I would host a pre-graduation luncheon to include a mock interview and review resumes session. Also I am avaiable to answer any last minute concerns or questions.

Hi Julian
Nice idea about the pre grad luncheon. It's another thing that students can look forward to as they are nearing the end of their studies. This time, by the way, is often when there are a lot of drop outs. The "entertainment" for the lunch can be the mock interviews where everyone can get a laugh or two and learn from each other. Thanks, Susan

My staff and I frequently visit classrooms and the instructors love it! We review how to build resumes, interviewing skills, we do mock interviews with the students, how to dress for success, etc.
Most importantly, we have a career services week, and each day is a different theme. For instance, Monday is Job Fair Day and we bus students to a local job fair, Tuesday is Resume Building and interviewing techniques. The instructors inform the students they must make an appt. with career services for a mock interview. WE have a Red Carpet Fashion Show with employees and faculty as the models and they are dressed for interviews or inappropriately dressed. The students love it!

HI Andrea Great that you and your staff visit the classrooms. Hopefully the instructors get some ideas about talking up the job search process and what it is like on the job.Your Career Services Week sounds great. We are wondering how you can incorporate some of the activities on a day by day or at least once a week basis. Employment and job search skills take more than a week to develop. Thanks, Susan

Some thoughts below:

1. Having the instructors focus on real world application of the skills that are being taught as they relate to the workplace so that students understand how to create linkages and illustrate value for potential employers during interview process

2. Having the instructors create opportunities for hands-on exercises within the classroom environment that are made to look and feel like the real world workplace students will be exposed to

3. Having instructors integrate representatives from local businesses into the classroom experience and create networking opportunities for students as a result

Hi Adam, We also believe that instructors need to talk about how what is taught in class applies to the work world. It's a way for students to envision what it is like on the job. Hands-on exercises that replicate the real world of work is essential as well as having people from the workplace visit the class and talk about what it is like on the job. We think this should be a daily occurence. Students need to link up what they are learning to why they are learning and how their knowledge and skills will be used when they get employment. This acts as a retention strategy as well. Thanks, Susan

We are starting a placement department, but have some services in place. The students are first exposed to information on placement when they complete their initial registration process. Then during class attendance, we have in place an employment bulletin board with the latest employment opportunities. Also, current students have a chance to see graduates when they come in to update C.E. requirements. The graduates visit the instructors and this opportunity is used to provide an impromptu Q & A with their job searching experiences. Students need to hear that there are jobs out there for them when they graduate even thought it may take a little longer to get hired. I would like to implement the interview role playing between the students and instructors into their lesson plans for all the programs.

Hi Jacqueline, Great that students learn about your placement services when they first enroll. Just wondering how students see the employment bulletin board during class. Do they realize what the board is all about and how it relates to them? When grads stop by, do the grads talk with students about what it is like in the workplace? Yes, students do need to hear about jobs out in the community. It helps with retention. And good idea that students learn that searching for a job is a job! And great idea to encourage instructors to integrate employment training, like role playing, into their classrooms, Thanks, Susan

We visit all the classrooms at the start of each month or quarter. We give the students information on what Career Services can help them with. In addition, we will take an hour or two and teach the students to build resumes and we will conduct mock interviews with the students. They love it and the feedback has been phenomenal!

Hi Andrea, Great that you visit the classrooms when students are just starting. It reinforces the fact that placement skills are as important as the subject matter they are learning. That employment training is part of wht students learn in school and what is offered in their tuition. We find that creating resumes works well over a period of time. At first students are nervous. Then they start to realize the skills they do have even if their work experience has been light. And I bet the mock interviews improve with time. It is fun - kind of like play acting. Good work. Susan

The employment board is labeled and indicates the jobs available by category. For example: Medical Assistant/ Phlebotomy Technician/ EKG Technician, etc. During the Q & A impromtu with the graduates, they include what it is like to work with patients in a doctors office, etc.
Thank you for your feedback. Jackie

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities