Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Placement Services for Alumni

I read an article today in the Orlando Sentinel about how some colleges and universotoes are beginning to offer more career services for alumni. Does anyone here have a campus like that, and if so, what type of services are you providing above and beyond what is offered to current students?

Hi Daniel, In our opinion career services for alumni is a great idea. It's great for marketing, enrollment, admissions, and placement. If grads have a happy experience with your school they will refer their friends and family or even enroll in more courses or programs. They might let you know of job openings where they work, or assist with career services events. Lots of opportunities when you let grads know they are always welcome to return and continue to get benefits from you school. Best wishes, Susan

My concern is how I allow alumni to access career services information in the future without allowing non-students to access this information. I would have to do some major programming and I think the cost of this for our technology department would not justify the return, for now. I am hoping as my department grows so will the opportunities we can offer our alumni.

Hi Candice
A great placement department will increase your enrollment. Enrollment revenue can come from grads enrolling in other programs at your school or recommending their friends and family. Grads can be a resource for new job openings at their current work place. It's hard to find reasons not to stay in contact with grads by offering them free placement services. Best wishes, Susan

Our system of some 120 schools pledges assistance for life. Sometimes this feels like a burden as we do our best to assist current continuing and soon to be grads/recent grads. In the past three months I have assisted a 1992 and a 1982 grad.

Believe me, when you have helped someone who graduated some 25 years ago, you feel great pride and can tell any student/prospective student that "Lifelong Assistance" is real and happening. BTW, we were successful with both of these students and with other former grads.

HI Bruce, Really impressive that your grads think of your school when needing a job. They might come back for training too, and tell their friends and employers. Great information for your admissions department to use as well. Sounds like you are keeping in touch with grads too. So they know about your offerings and that you are still around as a resource. Seems like a possible publicity moment too. Best wishes, Susan

My campus provides placement help for our graduates for a lifetime. We find that we can assist in updating resumes and giving leads. We always discuss networking and professional organizations to both our new graduates and alumni to help with their job searches. Keeping our alumni happy is a way to also utilize their skills in the classroom. Those alumni may be great guest speakers or adjunct instructors depending on their years in the workforce.

Great recommendations, Sheryl. Alumni are such a rich resource for everything. YOu have pointed out how they can assist you with placement, teaching, and mentoring. Alumni are great sources for referrals for new students. They might enroll in programs as well. They can recommend your school to their place of employment. They are a source for new jobs. It's endless. Very good ideas. Thanks, Susan

Extremely important to track your graduates and build a lasting relationship with each and every one of them.

Grads are a way to build a school. We wonder why schools don't have active alumni associations. Alumni can send new students, continue their education at your school, tell you about job openings, and lots more. Yes, James, a lasting relationship with grads reaps many rewards for all concerned. Thanks, Susan

We offer placement services to current students and alumni.
We have an on line job board they can access as well as one on one face time with the placement department. We are willing to work with them to update their resume and portfolio in hopes that their current work experience will give them a new opportunity to apply for positions that seek more qualified candidates.

Hi Karen, Sounds like you have great placement services. The question is - do your students and alumni know about it. We find that often students and grads do not know that they have "lifetime" career services with a school. And they have no idea what these services are. This is because many students and grads think career services is optional compared with the requirements of going to class. That's why students have to learn about career services while they are interviewing. And maybe that's not soon enough. Thanks, Susan

I know it can sometimes be a huge task working with current graduates, students and then alumni, especially in a one man department. I utilize social media and create a special e-mail group. I can say the benefit for me in being in touch with alumni has been in assisting employers. There are those cases where an employers states, I just hired one of your new grads, but now I need a new employee with experience. I then reach out to those grads who maybe looking to move up from the position that they have held for a year or more. The employer is happy and the alumni has been assisted twice and hopefully referring our school to friends and family!

Antonia,
Thanks for showing how important it is to have an active alumni community. There are so many benefits to student, staff, grads, and employers. Alumni can also help when there is only one person in a department. They are usually happy to help ... especially when they love your school. MAX KNOWLEDGE has a great course on alumni communities where you can learn the details and benefits. Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities