Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Job Fair/Job Placement

Job fairs are a good source for job placement because I get to know what job opening there are for their company (medical). I also get to know the point of contact (Human Resources) and how I can help them fill their vacant positions. Another good source is the Texas Workforce Solutions. This is a good source because all job opening in the city are using place on their website (Work In Texas) for whoever is interested in applying for that certain position.

Hi Javier, Job fairs are definitely a way to learn about job openings and what employers are looking for. It's a good way to meet and develop relationships with the HR people or other hiring decision makers. It is so important to grow these relationships. You want to learn first hand what skills and knowledge are needed for the job. And you certainly want to be the first in line to learn about the job openings so you can arrange for appointments for your students and grads as soon as possible. Thanks, Susan

How important do you feel Job Fairs are to a Placement Department?

Interesting question. Lots of "it depends" answers. Job Fairs are good if - well publicized, you get quality employers, employers really have jobs, employers know how to talk to students and grads, if your alumni are invited, if you measure results, hold job fairs regularly, build up interest, let the community know, ensure they are well organized and upscale, follow up partipants and employers, have one person as a driving force. And probably lots more things to consider. Does that help? Susan

I appreciate your response. It does help thank you.

I loved job fairs because It's important to know people, to interact with different companies, what they offer, what they have... etc it's the opportunity to find a good job.

Paola,
Job Fairs do attract lots of different people and can take so many forms. It is good to train your students to be effective at job fairs. This may mean preparing formal resumes, dressing appropriately and knowing what to ask and say. You might want to have mock interviews in class before the event. If the Job Fair is at your campus be sure to involve students and Alumni in setting it up. Also reminder to have discussions after the event about what went well and where improvement is needed. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Great post! Patience and persistence is the kind of attitude that one must teach students to have, especially in todays job market.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities