Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How far can you take interviewing skills?

As a school director, I very much believe in first impressions, and dressing for success! When teaching interviewing skills, I have often wanted to make it mandatory to see a student put in the effort to dress for success for a real interview. Would I be breaking any discrimination rules or ethics? We have a very detailed outline of casual professional dress.

Hi George, Interesting question re discrimination rules or ethics. Best to check with your attorney. We haven't heard of this kind of concern but always good to check. We do believe that students must be taught employment skills and the value of a strong work ethic and how to navigate and succeed in the workplace. A dress code is perfectly fine. Allied health schools require scrubs, etc. If you are a business school training students to work in a corporate environment then proper business attire is important. If a student has to struggle to buy a suit for example, then work with local thrift or consignment shops where shopping is affordable. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities