Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting up a placement timeline

Once a student graduates, what is an acceptable time line for them to become placed? Is there a better system, or example to use as a guideline?

Interesting questions, George. The answer is, it depends. If the student must take a licensing exam then there is a time lag between graduation, passing, and getting a job. Your regulatory bodies will have guidelines. You can set your own guidelines as well to encourage students to get into the workforce quickly. Also good to follow follow follow grads to see how they are doing, offer assistance, or see what is keeping them from getting hired. After placement it is important to track the working grads again to see how they are doing and to ensure they are bringing valued skills to the employer. Thanks, Susan

I totally agree with previous response. For example in our organization there are time lines for passing a licensing exam. It usually takes up to two month for the documentation process. Right after graduation, our school applies for a licensing exam for every student who graduated and a scheduled date comes usually in two month. Within that time period students are usually research positions and prepare thoroughly for the licensing exam. After the exam is passed it usually takes around one month for some less and for some longer again it all depend from the student. I usually follow up with a student every 30, 60, 90 and 120 days after graduation besides the regular visits during educational period. With many of them I stay in contact for longer period of time just to follow up and see how they are doing. It is easier to find employment for graduating students through success of alumni.

HI Leonid, Good points re what to do during that wait period when grads sign up for their exams. We think there should be much more employment skills training and job search activity going on during this time. Grads should be able to be employed as soon as possible after graduation and passing their exams. It's important to follow grads up 30, 60, 90 days, etc. But by then we feel it should be to ensure they are doing well on the job and you provide what ever skills and incentives to keep them on the job. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities