Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I'm new at this job--any suggestions?

I have just taken over ast the Career Services Coordinator at a Business School, and I am more than willing to take any advice/suggestions anyone has for me. I have worked with job placement on a much smaller scale in previous positions, but this is brand new.

What helps? What should I avoid? What's the most important thing to remember as I start new?

Hi Deborah
Great questions. There's nothing like the advice of people in the job. You are also enrolled in a course that includes a lot of how to's re career services offerings. So suggest you continue, learn a lot, and keep asking those questions. Also check publishers for all their media on career services. You'll get lots more ideas and resources. The key to success in running any department is read, learn, ask, be creative, persistent, and patient. And of course measure whatever you do to determine results. Good luck, Susan

I am also fairly new to this position, and I'm finding it helpful to network as much as possible. I'm asking what areas are most in need and contacting as many people as possible. I am also tracking graduates that have been placed and they are giving me valuable leads.

HI Ruth
Sounds like you are off to a great start. In addition to what you are doing and learning in this course, suggest you do some surveys and interviews of employers, potential employers, students, grads, not so happy grads. Create a list of questions re what they want in the career center. Then see what can be done and set some priorities in implementation. If you give people what they want and need that should help build a solid department. Good luck, Susan

Hi, When I first got started I was nervous and excited at the same time:
Suggestions:

Developing Job Leads:
Do not get discouraged when making phone calls to employers in your community when they are not interested.

Networking is key; outreach to chamber of Commerce meetings, job fairs, bulk mailers to employers on school information and services.

Self-directed job search is great! Students bring in a job lead a day and we post up the job lead on a visible Job Board. This has them take part in their job search - this also is practice on researching companies, team work, and ownership.

What courses are your students taking?

When our graduates obtain employment their picture goes up the Wall of Fame. This is a great tool for perspective students and motivational.

Motivational job search workshops with role playing. When mock interviewing we video tape the interview so they can see the before and after.

I start job search workshops 1 month before graduation; resumes, interview practice, work ethic and retention.

Does your school require a 90 day retention period?

We track a 30-60-90 day period of employment and send out an employment verification that requires title, wages, start date and end date if no longer with company.

Well good luck if you have any questions - let me know

Wow MariaElena, Great ideas. And all very do-able. When a phone call does not develop into a job lead, it's no problem. Use the time to tell the employer about your school. You'll get a lead next time. Or a student. Networking in the community is very very important. You want to get everyone to know you are THE school to go to and the school to seek great employees. Job search workshops are important. We suggest they be held throughout the training program rather than wait until the end. And tracking employment yields so much information. It's like your report card. Keep sharing. This is great. Susan

You have already received a lot of good advice but I'll add mine. My first recommendation is to have the teacher evaluate the students strengths and weeknesses. This is invaluable for us to make a successful match with an employer. Also, if your school does externships/internships devise a way to have your sites evaluate the students. Again, this information is very handy when attempting to permanently place a graduate. Think incrementally with regard to growing your employer database. Start working with a few employers at first; lets say 10 the first month and 10 more each following month. I continually ask my placement staff how many sites they have that they can ask a favor of. I beleive they should call their sites regularly even if they dont want/need anything. This builds familiarity and sets the stage for later when they have the perfect applicant in their area. As some have mentioned before, dont be discouraged by the no's, devise a tickler file and call them again after 60 or 90 days. You will be surprised at how many of your contacts will no longer be there after a short period of time. Sit down and make a list of the benefits to the employer for using your services. For example, you can save them money by using your services at no cost to them rather than running an expensive ad in the local newspaper or you can pre-screen applicants and send them only the applicants that meet thier needs. I'm sure you can come up with at least ten benefits for your employers and learn to use them in all of your everyday conversations with them so they know what services you offer. One last suggestion to get the entire school on board with the all new Placement Department is to make an annonymous announcement (we use a tone similar to the NBC tones)that another graduate got hired. Everyone always wants to know what that noise is. We tell them thats not an angel getting its wings, its a graduate getting a job! I could go on and on....

Wow Theresa, what great ideas. We should integrate them into the course! Here are a few ideas that we thought of as a result of your suggestions. Teacher and externship evaluations should be a MUST in our opinion. The evaluation needs to be written, discussed with the student, and become part of the student's record. Hopefully good enough to include in a resume. Assume what you have to say to an employer is very valuable information, because it is. You give the employer the opportunity for potential workers plus the chance to suggest enhancements to your program so your grads are work ready. You can do your employers great "favors" by providing a way to train their existing employees in needed skills. And invite employers to visit your school and talk about effective interviewing, what they look for in an employee. And most of all - ring that bell each time a grad gets a job. What a great idea. It reminds each and every person why they are at your school - whether a student or staff member! Thanks, Susan

As you mentioned the information you have for an employer is very valuable. As an employer myself, I wish I had someone to give me a personal recommendation (that I trust) so I wouldnt have to sift through a hundred resumes everytime I have an employment need. I have been encouraging my staff to attempt resume-less interviews where the employer agrees to interview only one person based on their (the placement advisor) recommendation. Better yet, make it a working interview so they can see how great the applicant is. Ask the graduate to volunteer their time for one (maybe two) day. This is a wonderful win, win situation.

Thanks Theresa. Sounds like an argument to include intern or externships in every program. Or a mentoring segment to every program or at least job shadowing!! We think the no resume interview is great. And the applicant gets the interview based on a recommendation. That would be a great motivator for students to do well --have them work towards a super recommendation in every class. Thanks, Susan

I suggest visiting employers in your area. Call employers to setup a meeting to develop a new realtionship, or to maintain a relationship the previous Director had. It is a great asset to your department!

Hi Kerrie
We feel that developing employer relationships is a key to success. Employers can tell you what they want in an employee so you can prepare your grads for a succssful interview. Employers can send their employees to train at your school. And employers can assist to prepare your grads for the job search process. Best wishes,Susan

Keep up the good work, learning is always a great experience, we all learn by our mistakes,correct them and keep going.

Hi Brenda
Everyone is new at the job at one time or another. It takes learning as much as possible, asking colleagues, reading up on the job requirements, and more. The goal is to avoid mistakes and use current experience to develop needed expertise. Thanks, Susan

After 25 years of law practice, I've just started as the Director of Graduate Services for a college that graduates A&P (aircraft)mechanics. It's been only two weeks, but I can identify five major areas of frustration (and ignore the smaller ones for now):

1. The sheer volume of paperwork/administrivia (e.g., tracking and filing) that prevents me from getting to the heart of the job;

2. Inability (by reason of my lack of understanding) to match graduates to a job opening;

3. Identifying the potential employers that should be called first;

4. Getting students to recognize their role in the employment process (some will not even go on line to look for openings); and

5. Establishing priority among recent grads and soon-to-be grads.

The department has been dormant for a while and there is pent-up anger and frustration among the student body. I wish I could be more productive.

This class is quite helpful,and I seee that my frustrations are shared by many in this field.

I must say that the most positive thing that has happened to me is meeting with each of the students individually. I now have a feel for their goals and personalities, which makes the job more focused. I am still at sea, though.

I am just wondering if any one else has been in this position. If so, what was the turning point for you?

Looks like you have solved half your problem Lois - identifying it. Let's see what ideas there are for solutions. 1. Yes. Lots of paperwork. We suggest a customer relationship management software and recommend Norada.com. It's great and amazing how much paper you can throw out when the info is on Norada. And you'll have complete records, ticklers, and more. 2. The more you know about the program and employers the easier it will be to match. This is new to you. 3.Call the biggest and most active employers first. 4. Be sure that admissions tells students about placement services and have every instructor talk about your services. Better yet - require participatation in placement offerings. 5.They are all priorities. Start with grads. Better yet, start the first day of school getting everyone aware that placement is as important as all other homework. Good luck, Susan

Hi Jason, Great points. It is about initiating and sustaining relationships. And it is really so easy. Does take time. Your alumni are certainly great sources for referrals. We are always surprised that few if any schools have alumni associations. Alumni offer so many opportunities to a shcool. This includes referrals, job opportunities, mentoring studens, job shadowing, and even more. Thanks, Susan

I've found, as others in this discussion have, that networking is key. Yes, your resume must be up-to-date and aesthetically pleasing. Yes, a good cover letter will help introduce yourself and highlight aspects of your personality that a resume cannot. But, nothing beats a good old face-to-face meeting and a solid reference. Therefore, at my school I've worked very hard to build up a strong alumni network and - by extension through them - a network of potential employers. This has worked well, even in this tough economy. Our placement rates have remained in the upper 80% to lower 90% rate.

Today is the first day of my training and I learned a great deal.

Glad you are learning a lot. Are you replacing anyone at your school or is this new. Do you have any placement, recruiting, or community outreach experience? You might want to ask for everything that has been offered in placement and career services training at your school. Also ask for placement stats and names of employers where grads work. Also check if there is an alumni association. See if there are any employer advisory boards and who is on it. Also check out the student information management system. And types of surveys sent and stats available. Lots to learn from seeing what is done or not offered at your school to assist students to learn employment and job search skills. Good luck, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities