Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What should you say if a student wants to know about the transfer credits to another institution

Transfer ofcredits correct answer ?

I always tell the student to check with the institution that they may be transferring too. Because each school has different requirements. They can also, let them view the courses that the will or are taking

I always tell the student the the institution you are transferring too will decide if they accept our credits or not.

Restate that they will need to talk to the school they want to attened to see if that school will accept the credits from your school. you are not to state that the credits will transfer because you do not know if that will happen.

Refer to the institution's Transfer of Credit policy and procedure listed in the school catalog. Unless the school has a prior agreement to accept trasnfer of credit with another University or College, it is very unlikely that a Transfer of Credit will take place. Many community colleges already have this in place, smaller private institutions do not. While I would never tell this to a student, if the institution shares the same accrediting body, the likelihood of transfer of credits taking place increases (perhaps on a case by case basis) but is never guaranteed. In short, refer to the published statement in your school catalog, I wouldn't offer anymore information that what is published.

I think it best  to make certin tht the student is doing the right thing and has all the required knowledge. This way he or she can make an informed choice or decision.

Transferability of credits is always determined by the receiving institution. The student must contact the university in question to verify their policies.

Sign In to comment