Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thanks Brian,

You're right, and the first point of contact is so important to building that professional relationship of trust.

Jay Hollowell

It is important to respond in a timely manner to student concerns because 1. If one student has a concern their are more then likely other students with the same concern. 2. The longer a concern goes without being addressed the bigger it gets and the more other students became dissatisfied. 3. Students can became so dissatisfied that they will drop out and not meet they goals. Students can get a lawyer and sue. The lose of title IV funding. School likely to fail with out funding.

It is important to address things right away because it shows credibility not only in ourselves, but the institution as well. Ignoring the problem can lead to a student getting upset, dropping out and spreading bad things about myself and the school.

It is the same dealing with any customer; complaints and concerns should dealt with promptly. Besides it just being the right thing to do, it is necessary to maintain a positive image with the student, letting them know they are important, and puts them first. Letting complaints and concerns fester can turn into something ugly. The student doesn't respect the school and will bad mouth them to friends. The schools accrediting body may lose some credibility thereby affecting every school accredit. If any debt was incurred on the student's part, despite the problem they had, it will more than likely become bad debt. And so on and etc.

Common courtesy is the first thing that comes to my mind. If I had a problem I would expect for it to be addressed no matter how big or small the complaint. I have learned that where there is smoke there is fire. If one student has this complaint trust there are more with the same. The best way to combat situation like this is get in front and cut it off. Address the matter as soon as it presented to you and most times it is something that can be cleared up in no time at all. If we let things go that when students bring feelings/emotions into the scenario. When someone feels ignored they will tell their problems to anyone who wants to list voluntarily or not because they want to be heard.

Timeliness is very important. As a nursing school we emphasize timeliness to the students. If the student feels that their concerns are not address in a timely matter then we have lost their trust and we risk loosing them as a student altogether.

It is important to address student complaints and concerns in a timely fashion because it shows that you are invested along with them in their future and helping them reach their goals - graduation and career.

One should never ignore student concerns - this will make a student unsatisfied and makes them believe you are not there for them - invested in helping them reach their goals.

It is important to address student complaints and concerns in a timely fashion because it shows the student that we respect them as an individual and that we care.

If student complaints are not addressed in a timely fashion there is a great chance that we will lose the student. Students may go public and bad mouth the institution.

So you can identify what issues your school may have and fix whatever problems there might be that could arise again in the future and you wouldn't have that problem again.

Replying in a timely fashion shows the student that we are available to help them and that we care about them. It also may help to convey the fact that the school is aware of the issue and is not trying to hide/ignore the problem. Ignoring the student would most likely just make them more upset and make them think that the school's practices are questionable and non-trustworthy.

John,

Well thought out comments, thanks! It truly can be a snowball effect, so to speak.

Jay Hollowell

Hi Tina,

Thanks for your comments. You, as well as so many participants, have rightfully mentioned how important timeliness is in addressing student concerns. As referenced, the real cost of student dissatisfaction stemming from a break of trust is that students can become demotivated in their career and life pursuits. As career educators, our culture of compliance goes far beyond compliant actions. It goes to the very core of why our institutions exist - to help students achieve their career goals and obtain a ROI on their education and training - a matter so much more of focus than in more traditional forms of education.

Jay Hollowell

The institution places strong emphasis to address the grievances of the students. An unattended complaint becomes a major problem.

It is important to address students concerns in a timely fashion because that is an extension of transparency and trust. If I have built trust with a student and I do not get back to them in a timely fashion, I jeopardize their trust. They may think I am not getting back to them because I have something to hide.

It is very important to address a students concerns right away because it shows that the school truly does care for their needs.You want positive feedback from the student to other students and the public as well that way if other students have a concern they will feel welcome to come to the school openly with their concerns.

It is important to respond to student complaints and concerns in a timely fashion because it shows that we value their feedback. It also shows that we did not do something to intentionally upset them, and we would like to rectify the situation as quickly as we can. The longer an issue lingers, the more upset they can become and they may spread the negative energy to other students.

It is important to address complaints and concerns in a timely manner so that the students feel like they matter and are important. You will not be able to satisfy everyone, but if you stall and don't respond then you will definitely offend most.
Holly Nowers

Student complaints should be addressed timely so students know they are taken seriously and the school respects them. The longer it takes to respond the more angry the student will become and they will start talking to classmates and media, then possibly move to the Department of Education.

By offering immediate attention to student's complaints and concerns, it tells the student that he/she is important to the institution, which helps build and maintain trust that the student made the right decision in attending the college.

It lets the students know their complaints are important and you care how things are going for them. If ignored not only will they complain to everyone who will listen. This could result in not only losing that student, but others who feel the school doesn't put their best interest first.

Sign In to comment