Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Only One

If you had to choose one disclosure to present to a prospective student which one would it be? Why?

When making the decision to enroll in a career-training program there is a lot of information given to the prospective student and all of it is relevant and important. However, at the beginning of the process, the most important disclosure is the Programs Relevant Occupations disclosure. A student will spend considerable time, effort and money on their education. It is vital that the student is training for an occupation in which he or she wants a career. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for students to decide part way through their program, or even graduates at the end of the program, to be dissatisfied with the job choices available to them. Before there is any discussion about moving forward with enrollment, individuals need to make sure they are training for an occupation they want to make their career.

Sharon,

Career counseling with a student is critical. As a former campus president I have had the experiences with students not being happy with an entry level medical assisting position. I believe that we must continue to stress the importance of the entry level positions and the careers that they will be able to enter into.

Cindy Bryant

If I had to chose one disclosure that would be hard because I do believe the student should be aware of all as honesty is how you develop trust of the student. I definitely would discuss the fact especially when it came to medical courses that a background check will be needed. To many people don't realize how things they may have done in their younger years will affect them in the present. The other one I know students have asked in the past is the graduation rate and placement which again I think being completley honest with the student is important.

If I had to present one disclosure it would be the career paths associated with the major and requirements. It is important to establish that what the student wants career wise is within the realm of what you offer.

I would present the Program Relevant Occupations Disclosure because it is important that prospective students know exactly what they are signing up for and at the completion of the program, what it will allow them to do. With the economic environment we are in, some individuals are looking to earn higher wages than what an entry-level position might pay. So, it is imperative that they understand exactly what their education and training will prepare them for.

Lorretta,

The Program Relevant Occupations Disclosure is a very important document to present to your students and ensure complete understanding.

Cindy Bryant

I would emphasize honesty. I have been a nursing instructor a long time and I always tell my students that what they do behind the curtain to their patients when I am not there should be the same as if I were. No breaks in sterile technique, treat the patient with kindness, do a thorough job, etc. It's a moral judgement.

Colleen,

Thank you for giving your students such great advice. In the health care field integrity, safety and patient first must always be at the forefront in the caregivers mind.

Cindy Bryant

In Addition to the Program Relevant Occupations Disclosure, I think it is important to present information to students on certain tests that students need to pass before they are offered a position. For example.. In Nursing, students must pass the ENCLEX with a certain score.

Yvonne,

Good Point! Specific programs require specific testing and certifications such as the ENCLEX it is required that prior to admissions prospective students be made aware of all the requirements including background checks.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment