Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Wheel Chairs

It's imperative that every dorr that people in wheel chairs have automatic doors. I've been to a couple of schools in my past that did not and it was embarassing for them.

Christopher,
Are you saying that it was embarrassing for the school, or for the students in wheelchairs? Lack of access should be more than an embarrassment to the institution -- the school has a legal obligation to do better. Lack of access is a frustration for people with disabilities!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I understand Christophers reaction to this. I would feel embarressed to work for a school that disobeys the law and doesnt care about equal access.

Amy,
There is only so much any of us can do from our own positions and scope of authority to MAKE changes happen. But it certainly starts with CARING about those changes and the need for response.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Perhaps take that CARING attitude and pose a petition to the school to get wheel chair friendly doors due to your concerns for everyone having equal access to the building with out fear of getting stuck.

amber,
I LIKE it. Proactive and supportive and a good focus on Universal Design.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

As a person with a wheel chair bound father, I know how aggravating it can be to be in need of access to a building that has not been properly updated to serve people with wheelchairs or disablilities. It makes life difficult.

rose,
You're right. Living as a member of the disability community (even as an "extended" member) provides an entirely new perspective to issues of access. My daughter is a wheelchair user, as well. You are preaching to the choir!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

my understanding is that if the doors are accessible and usable to the wheelchair user they do not need to be automatic.

Vincent,
Hmmm... maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what your definition of "usable" is. If you mean it is wide enough to get through, that MAY not be enough. It also needs to be possible for someone in a wheelchair to get through that wide space. If the pressure on the door is set too high to allow someone with limited mobility or upper body strength to open the door, then it is NOT usable, it is NOT accessible -- and it is NOT legal! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment