Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ethical Practices

Discuss three common ethical practices that are most important to you and why.

I find that with my true excitement in helping students to achieve their educational goals, trying not to cross the line passively must be a conscious effort day to day. My position within my school allows me to have access and input in all departmental procedures. Staying completely out of the enrollment process if your going to assist for example in, Financial Aid or being careful not to make statements about your school, sometime these things are out of mere excitement for the student and their objective.

Sometimes I have to remember the importance of not taking the side of the student when he/she has a problem or complaint with the staff or one of the institution's policies. I also have to remember the fact that no ethnical or racial distinctions should be made at any time as all students deserve the same treatment. The third ethical practice I would mention is the importance of being honest in all aspects but in particular, with the grading system. The students won't benefit if they are being pampered with good grades and favoritism.

Tim,

It is very easy to get "caught up" in a students situation. It is very hard to back out of the situation. You have indicated several good practices. Thank you

Cindy Bryant

Cindy,

Some instructors tell me that they never get involved with the students' personal lives. However, being the empathetic person that I tend to be, I listen to the issues that they bring to the class and try to make helpful suggestions. Sometimes it puts me out to offer assistance but I usually feel a sense of happiness, knowing that I was atleast slightly helpful. Thank you for your feedback Cindy.

Tim Grundstrom
Electrical Instructor

Tim,

You are who you are :) we need more people who care. Thank you for your active participation in the forums.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment