Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Misleading information

Most graduate's think your guarante a job right after receiving their license.

Sonia,

How can schools avoid graduates thinking a job is guaranteed right after receiving their license?

Cindy Bryant

By addressing this in orientation, and also in the student catalog , there is a very small room for misleading information.

Yvonne,

Orientations are a great opportunity to reinforce, reintroduce or clarify information. An excellent practice is to hit key areas and ask if there are any questions.

Cindy Bryant

I think the foundation needs to be laid out in the interview process. Reminding the student of the tools we provide and the partnership we make in supporting them, but ultimately the responsibility being theirs. We have no idea what they will do on the other end of the support we provide them.

Sharis,

You are on point the initial interview is where the expectations are being set. When you mention "the other end of the support we provide them" are you referring to academic side of the house...or...to the students?

Cindy Bryant

From an Admissions standpoint I let them know that although no one can guarantee the student a job after getting their license, we will work with them to actively attempt to get them to work as soon as possible. Even networking with various businesses and creating relationships that can potentially help the student. This is also covered in orentation prior to the first day of class. Setting a realistic expectation is important when it comes to this matter.

Aundre ,

At the end of their academic career the onus of securing employment is in the student's hands. It is imperative that the school stand ready to assist and fulfill their mission.

Cindy Bryant

A school should never give guarantees because of unknown factors

By explaining to each prospect that employment is never a guarantee but we will give them all the tools necessary to be qualified for employment. We at placement will continue to be a tool available to them while seeking employment and that the rest is up to the individual. They will need to work hard to gain the skills, and do the leg work when it comes to interviewing skills and applying to positions and being the best candidate.

Amber,

Career Services/Placement plays a very important role in the students future success. It is not possible to ever guarantee anyone a job but just as you mentioned you can be seen as [tool] way to assist them in achieving their goal.

Cindy Bryant

Students that graduate from most institutions get jobs as soon as they receive their licenses due to the fact that they are announced when the counselors inform them over the phone and in person. I believe that this has to be part of the reason why these institutions are in business in the first place.

Melissa,

It is great that your graduates are finding immediate employment. There is no doubt that career colleges are measured by their outcomes and as long as retention and employment rates are strong the school will thrive.

Cindy Bryant

I address this in the interview and enrollment process, giving enrollees placement stats and also letting them know we do not guarantee a job. I educate that enrollee the things while they are in school that will help them to become more marketable and can put on their resume.

Barbara,

It is good to know that you are ensuring that your prospective students are getting the best possible information.

Cindy Bryant

Nothing is guaranteed. It is stated in every process we go through with a prospective student and along the way during the education career. We let our students know that we have a placement department and we are here to help but we are not the ones going to the interview. It is up to the student.

I agree, Here at our schools we addreess inforamtion in the academic catalog and school handbook so we void misleading information, we also have prospective students acknowledge receipt by signing that they reviewed and reeive the information given.

I have always addressed students that we have a Job placement dept. but there is no such thing as guaranteed. It is up to the student that is being interview.

Alice,

Excellent point! Avoid using the word guarantee at all costs. You cannot guarantee a student a job because there are too many variables that depends on the student's ability and personality.

Cindy Bryant

It is best to tell the prospective student that there is no guarantee of employment but we do have a Career Services department to assist once they've successfully completed the program.

Sign In to comment