Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can a staff run an academic program just by experience and no degree?

It's pretty given that you need some sort of teaching crediential usually a BA of some sort but I know of a private school where they are hiring medical assistant instructors with no AA degree

From my experience, until recently yes. I was able to run my program for 3 years without a degree, only experience and certification. Things have changed however, and I am back in school to get my degree to continue to run the program.

The fact that the Medical Assistant Program is not a degreed program, the instructor is not necessarily required to have a degree. A medical assistant credential and/or experience can be acceptable in lieu of a degree for this particular program.

Is this a fact or an opinion? I thought when you teach at a college although you are teaching a core program- shouldn't you have a degree plus experience?

For example- professors that are teaching an A.S. degreed program cannot teach unless they have a higher degree such as a BA or Masters correct?

Carol - I think the author of the post you responded to was referencing a non-degreed program. Genrally speaking, faculty must have a degree higher than that they are teaching but, there are variations based on topic, accrediting body, etc.

Thank you for clarifying that :)

I don't think that staff can run academic programs just by experience. I think that they need at least bachelor degrees in the fields that they would teach in.

I completely agree. A degreed instructor will have a broader professional and educational background and far more experiences than one with just practical experience alone. The instructor will also likely be a better role model, better spoken, and far more knowledgable in a variety of topics than his/her experience-only counterpart. The degree will also command greater respect from the students.

I think education/degree is necessary to teach. However, I know a lot of individuals that are "book smart" but cannot critically think or perform in a clinical setting. I believe a combination of both education and experience is essential for an instructor. This allows a well rounded education for the student. I would want to know as a student that my instructors cannot only "talk the talk", but "walk the walk."

I agree, however having that "degree" often allows you to further establish the boundries of instructor/student. It allows you the instructor to become a positive role-model by showing your academic excellence to your students, giving them a "if I can do it, so can you" attitude.

In my field, a degree at least AS is required for VN and experience.

Just because you have a degree does not mean your teaching skills are on the same level as the degree you hold. As seen with previous instructors, degrees are not necessarily the end all be all of teaching unless the instition requires it.

Lisa, I agree with you. I think that the instructor needs to have attended a college program and completed that program so that he/she has first hand knowledge of what the students are experiencing. Leading by example, as long as it's positive, is always the best avenue.

I do think that instructor should have a degree above the degree their teaching

A degree coupled with years of experience is the idea instructor for a student. An higher degree in the field of expertise indicates professional growth. This is an example for the student to strive to achieve.

It would be best to have a degree, especially in today's competitive market.

I strongly believe that in order to properly "educate" students, the staff, meaning those who are teaching and those who supervise the teaching need to have a measurable tool their competance. This measurable tool has to be a degree of higher learning. To teach a clinical subject, there must be some evidence of you having attained a degree and specialized training.

I came from a University setting where this is true. In my BSRT program, we all had to have a Masters degree (the old rule that you must have one degree higher than the "terminal" degree that your institution is offering. However, when you look at Career Schools that offer only certificate programs, there is often no AAS that is obtainable in that profession, so qualified instructors with work-experiance will often be tthe choice.

I really agree with the degree PLUS experience. Too often an individual will have a degree and has not gotten adequate experience outside in the "real world". I would prefer a person have a degree. However, if I had to choose either a degree or a considerable amount of experience, I would opt for good experience.

No, students are enrolled at any school to higher their education. Therefore, instructors as the managers and role models of the class must be qualified academically. An instructor teaching without out a degree would be like a doctor practicing without a license. Would you let a doctor pratice medicine on you without a license and education to do so? No, the qualificaiton is his or her license to practice medicine. Similarly our license, so to speak, to teach is our degree. This is our qualifier.

Sign In to comment