Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Degree Requirement for Staff

If a faculty member is currently teaching a program that transitions into a degree program can the faculty member be terminated even though they are currentlt pursuing the minimum requirements?

The answer to this will depend on the state's regulations. Some states will give a waiver for a faculty member currently enrolled and working toward a degree. Other states do not.

What happens to the employees that have been directors of a certificate program that get's converted to an AS and now they are "underqualified"?

We are currently considering this as well. Most of my faculty will not be affected, but I am encouraging those who might be affected to start the process of continuing their education now.

I would have to defer to someone at your school on how to handle this specific circumstance. Typically, there is awareness of the conversion in advance and I have seen schools work to ensure the proper individuals pursued their degree while the program was in transition to the higher level.

The requirement is that they have one level up from the level that is being taught. There should be time given for the instructors to attain the degree needed if their school changes from what they were hired to do. I feel as long as they are actively enrolled in that particular degree then they should be able to teach but they should be given a deadline for completion.

I would think they would have an amount of time granted to them to complete their degree. I am a director and have seen the change to AS for my program coming so I enrolled in school to complete my BS last year.

Some states allow faculty to fall under a "grand-father" clause while employed at their current institution. If the faculty member seeks employment at another institute then they must have the degree requirement. Most states and employers allow time for the employee to obtain the degree.

I believe current faculty members should be allowed time to obtain the necessary degree.

No, the faculty member has demonstrated the desire for the increased educational level and should not be terminated.

I agree with Janice. Time should be allowed, especially if they are having to come out of pocket for the schooling.

We actually just experienced this, where a diploma program went to a degree program. The faculty who were not properly credentialed, have to sign and agree to a credentialing agreement. They are required to take a minimum of 6 credits per year toward the degree required. The company offers tuition reimbursement which is good. If a faculty member does not meet the requirement, or refuses the agreement, they they are terminated. We actually had one person refuse to sign the agreement!!

Kenny,
It's a shame to see such resistance when the company is supporting the faculty development to align with the new credential offered. It's especially disappointing since as educators, we encourage such lifelong learning for employees and faculty as well as the students we serve.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment