Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Picking and Choosing

Like most schools, we have a school catalog that outlines the "rules" for the campus. It has admission guidelines as well. Why is it that some campus' choose to ignore some of the rules but tend to enforce others. I was taught integrity. If we say we are going to do something, it should be done. The catalog is our way of saying we are going to do something. Are there some items in a catalog that can be more flexible? Example: We require a registration fee to be paid before entrance per the catalog. We also require background checks, entrance test, and personality screening. Most of the time the registration fee is ignored while the other items are enforced before acceptance and registration fee is collected at a later date after class start.

As it pertains to the school catalog, the information can be separated in two major categories. 1. Items that must be included and acted upon because they are required from state and/or federal regulators 2. Items that adhere to internal company policies. It has been my observation, that schools tend to be flexible on provisions of the catalog that adhere to the second category. It all depends on enrollment levels, 90/10 performance etc. Although you are right that integrity should not mean selective adherence to corporate policies, you still have a choice. You need to communicate (and document) your concerns to your department head and direct supervisor this way you have acted ethically and with integrity.

Accountabilty from management is key along with clear and concise directives. I appreciate your focus on integrity. Lack thereof is a primary issue that has brought us to this place that we now see ourselves in.

Sign In to comment