Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Campus Security

A safe campus is really importantwith all the recent school related crimes in the last decade. All students and faculty deserve a safe enviornment.

The building where our college is located has over 30 floors and we are on the ground floor. There is no way to keep people who do not belong in the college from coming in from the outside because of fire department regulations. We have been very fortunate that nothing really serious has happened to any students or staff members. There have been thefts but those are not as important as lives. There are security guards in the building but not actually in the college. On the occasions that the police department have been called, they were on the scene in very little time. We do feel relatively safe and that is important part of a student's experience here.

One new thing we have implemented on campus is the use of ID badges for visitors. It is mandatory for all faculty and staff to wear ID badges as well. This is a great way to keep tabs on who may be in the building at any given time. Providing a safe, educational enviornment for all is our main goal.

Quick question on Campus security reporting. Is reporting only limited to security within the building or does it extend to the grounds, such as parking lot, etc?

Also, on a side note, within the last year, I had developed an Emergency Response Manual for our campus. I feel that all campuses should have something like this to establish and react to several "what do we do if" scenarios. This is also a good opportunity to assign responsibilites in case of an event. Does anyone else have a similar document to be prepared?

Here is a section of the safety handbook:
"You must disclose statistics for reported Clery crimes that occur: (1) on campus, (2) on public property within or immediately adjacent to the campus, and (3) in or on noncampus buildings or property that your institution owns or controls."

Also, there is a link to the handbook which further defines each area:
http://www2.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/handbook-2.pdf

We are having some safety issues. People walking in off the street roaming around the facility.

I've heard of a few small incidents on campus that were resolved through the use of the security camera system. I am pleased to know of the cameras and how well the staff and students respond to unusual situations. Annual reporting doesn't prevent crime or drugs, but I can see how it causes everyone to be alert and on guard.

Our campus has a security guard, which I think gives the student a secure, safe feeling.

We have security patroling the parking lot and we have staff walking to the hall to insure student saftey. If an emergency arise will overhead page VIP to the front lobby. That will alert all mangers to the lobby ASAP.

We have also seen such issues in our school. As an institution we have made inprovements to our camera system and implemented an ID system for faculty, staff, students and visitors.

A safe campus is imperative for students and even the faculty and staff to feel comfortable. Although guidelines are always completely followed in an emergency situation, I feel better knowing that my campus provides us a "what to do" list that at least gives us some idea of how to proceed in certain situations.

I Agree, safety on a college campus is very important. At our campus we have security monitoring all day.

We have campus security at our campus and I feel it gives our students and staff a sense of security, knowing that security is on hand esp. for our evening students and staff.

We had previously encountered similar situations. Institutional conformity to wearing/displaying ID badges and locking certain entranceways in the evenings has helped. The campus managers were able to implement an awareness factor to all employees so now we are able to identify visitors easily and direct them to the front desk for check in. We have also recently installed security cameras which has proven to be beneficial as well.

I agree with shanell , especially during the night its good to know theres someone here if anything were to go wrong.

I am glad campus security is strictly enforced on our campus because it makes the students and employees feel safe. We all wear badges that indicate who we are and the color tells whether we are a student or employee.

Safety is an issue and all students should be made aware. They do deserve a safe and good learning environment.

We have recently added this policy at our campus as well. We have visitors that come to get their teeth x-rayed all the time, but they stop by the front desk first to get a visitor sticker. I believe this is helpfull to spot someone that doesn't belong on campus.

I think campus security is a good thing to have especially when there is crime areas of different sides of town. It makes the students and faculty feel much relief when walking out to their vehicles.

Yes, campus security is very important. This might also be a significant deciding factor for students who are contemplating taking night or evening courses and on campuses that have a complex layout with areas that are not under security surveillance.

Sign In to comment