Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Background checks

Is it acceptable to do a background checks on students entering the medical field?

N.,
You should check with your internal regulatory experts on your school's policies but, there are schools that do background checks (with appropriate authorization) on students to ensure their ability to qualify for jobs related to the training the school provides.

Traci Lee

We are experiencing that most hospitals / health care systems do background checks for employment. Therefore, we believe it is important to do background checks on students entering our Allied Health programs and that we make potential students aware of this employment requirement.

Since many hospitals require background checks in order for students to rotate through their facilities as clinical sites, it is often quite necessary to do these. Also, it helps the college faculty to encourage students to get their backgrounds "straightened up" if necessary... for example: a mid 30s person was convicted of something in their early 20s can get the records cleared up to a point where they CAN do clinicals / get jobs once their education is complete.

Amber,
Good point on having time to resolve open issues on a background check when necessary. Not only the "older" items you mention but, occasionally I have seen errors on background checks where an incident was erroneously attached to a student's record. This took several months to have officially removed so, it was good she had time to rectify her record before seeking a job or other opportunity.

Traci Lee

Absolutely. Most health care systems in my area are requiring them not only pre employment, but before we send an extern to them as well. I think it would be misleading if we allowed them to sign up only in the end to not meet these requirements in their chosen field. Many health care systems in my area are also "smoke-free" and require a nicotine test pre employment as well. Being an ex-smoker, I would've liked that information before going into a field. You would be surprised what some people are not willing to give up for a career!

Heather,
Thanks for sharing the information on nicotine testing - that is probably a significant factor for many and another item to include to ensure people are making informed decisions when pursuing a particular field of study.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment