Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Background checks

When a schools request a background check what can prevent them from getting accepted.

That would depend on the school's policies for that particular program.

Which misdemeanors would constitute a student as unadmissable?

Each institution should have guidelines in place which may vary by program and geographic location to align with relevant licensing or other industry restrictions.

Depends on the type of background check and what it will show. For example in the medical field, a federal background check is required and then whatever shows will go to the agency offereing the board exam to allow or not allow the student to take the exam. So bad checks could potentially disallow a student from entering a program.

My institution only runs background checks on programs that have licensures and in cases that may hinder the student from becoming licensed.

I agree the background checks would only be if the student could not get licensed or could not gain employment in that field.

It would also depend on the course which the student was interested in taking.

Any conviction of assault, drugs, any violence will keep students from being accepted. Waivers are provided if a student feels that they would like to enroll in the program that states that they know that they might not have access to clinical sites or employment due to the nature of the crime.

It depends on the company's policies and guidelines.

I never discuss this with the student I ask if there is anything that might show up but, I let the Campus President handle that if something comes up on the check.

All felonies, for my program of study, are not recommended as this background would seriously hinder clinical site placement.

For my program, Respiratory Therapy, the following holds true:From the Texas Department of State Health Services Respiratory Care Practitioners Licensing
Professional Licensing and Certification Unit Criminal History Evaluation

Purpose

Amendments were made to Occupations Code, Chapter 53 by House Bill (HB) 963, 81st Legislature, Regular Session (2009). HB 963 authorizes the collection of a fee for providing potential applicants a criminal history evaluation letter effective November 4, 2010.

The purpose of the criminal history evaluation is to establish procedures to evaluate, upon request, the criminal history of potential applicants to determine if they are ineligible to hold a license for health professions that include Perfusionists, Sanitarians, Code Enforcement Officers, Respiratory Care Practitioners, Opticians, Massage Therapists, Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselors, and Medical Radiologic Technologists, Speech Language Pathologist/Audiologist, and Fitting/Dispensing of Hearing Instruments. These evaluations will occur before the potential applicants enter or complete a preparatory educational program or licensure examination leading to licensure thereby allowing applicants to avoid unnecessary hardship or costs if their criminal history is a ground for license ineligibility.

TG

It would depend on the company’s policies because a conviction of assault, drugs, or any violence will keep students from getting a license in the medical field.

I think background checks are very important. If a prior conviction is a severe one...TDLR will not let them obtainan a license. Also, schools have guidlines they go by and I think it is a necessary process.

It depends on the state and the local facility requirements. Usually more than 1 DUI, a felony or any type of abuse disqualifies them.

I strongly advocate that the background check should be done before they start the program.

I agree; I had a prospective student who was up front and wanted us to check if the PTA Licensure would allow to take the exam having a felony, which he had from years ago. Had he not brought it up, he would have been accepted and go thru the program and find out he couldn't sit for Boards. That would not have been a good thing, so having it done before the student begins is good.

Sign In to comment