Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Transfer of credits

Many students have complained that they pay a lot of money for the degree and the credits will not transfer after graduation. They want to know why we donot obtain regional accreditation to resolve this issue. How should we best respond to this question?

I let students know that our school is different than a community college/university as ours prepares students via a specific skill set that would help them obtain employment within their field of training.

Regional accreditation may not solve this issue. There are several factors involved in the awarding or not awarding transfer of credit. It is always up to the receiving institution.

Although all schools, generally speaking, must abide by state regulations and accreditations, each school may have additional requirements to accept transfer of credits. There is various reasons why some school may not be acceptable to such credits due to date credits were taken, what grades did the student receive, and if the classes they took are the exact classes we require for them to pass our program requirements. So, as you see, there are variation of requirements depending on the receiving school.
The only determination of transfer of credits can be made by the receiving school.

It is important that the schools defer to the receiving school for information regarding their policies on the acceptance of transfer credits.

The only option we have is to defer to the receiving school,no one can determine what credits will transfer but them.

Transferability of credits is always up to the recieving school. Even transferring between two different state universities credits may not transfer or apply in the same way. From my expierence, the reason that credits don't transfer has nothing to do with any sort of accreditation but because the classes are so specific to the program for which they belong that they don't meet any general course standard in which a transfer would be applicable.

Even Regionally accredited schools have specific requirements of their programs and the criteria for transferring credits. Every school should reply to this issue with the fact that is always up to the accepting institution.

Students pay for their career training which is very valuable. It is always up to the receiving institution whether or not the credits will transfer regardless of the accreditation.

I had difficulty with this when I first entered the education arena! I felt that we should offer full disclosure to the students making them aware that their credits will more than likely not transfer to obtain a higher degree. If their plan is to achieve a higher degree than an associates in their field, I think the information should be relayed. I like your response above and will definitely consider using in the future! THanks

I agree with you Mina because every school has their own policy when it comes to transfer credits.

Sign In to comment