Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention of records

Does anyone know if there is a list available showing which documents may be destroyed after an acceptable period of time based on federal record-keeping requirements?

AACRAO has a publication titled, "AACRAO's Retention of Records: Guide for Retention and Disposal of Student Records 2000 Update." You can go to aacrao.com for ordering information.
Here is the description: A guide to standards in student records management, with updates on international student records, student financial aid requirements, state policies for records storage for schools that have closed, and methods of storage. This may help.

Does anyone know if there is a different standard for a non-Title IV in contrast to a Title IV school?

Hi Jesse! Are you inquiring about standards specifically regarding records management or overall compliance issues? Thanks,

Jay Hollowell
CM201

I would recommend you check with your accrediting body, they should provide a list.

This is good information to have. Thank you for providing the link to AARCAO!

This would be a great tool if available.
I have not found such a thing.

honestly I tried to find the answer in many ways but have been very dificl for me to find that but I would appreciate help those who already have some links us know. thanks

There good examples related to the development of policy and the operation of school districts. Retention periods begin at the time the records are created.
http://michigan.gov/documents/hal_mhc_rms_local_gs2_171482_7.pdf

http://sos.mt.gov/Records/forms/local/Local_Schedule7.pdf

I have actually seen a copy of the Retention Records list and although I can't quote certain areas specifically, I do know that any file pertaining to Career Services need to be kept indefinitely.

Sharon,
Agreed - and with the increased scrutiny on placement related data, these records will become even more pertinent in the future.

Traci Lee

At our school we have a list that corporate made, i am not sure if they got it from somewhere or made it themselves. I do know that the AACRAO dfoes have a book regarding Retention of Records.

At our school we are fortunate to have a corporate office that sends us a Retention of Records list that is broken down into departments, the document that needs to be saved and the length of time to save that document.
The challenge on the campus level is too make sure every department is aware of the importance of complying with the retention records and that they adhere to them. Some employees like to purge files and tend to throw out items that need to be saved. Having periodic communications with departments regarding the retention of records list is helpful to refresh the departments awareness of this compliance.

All student files should be kept in file proof cabinets because they are permenant records

This is a good practice and I think I will be using this strategy. More of us, even if not sure, need to have a guideline of what we are doing and that will relieve some tension on the subject. Some of the confusion on record retention rests on the different guidelines presented across governing bodies making it hard to clearly define. I would go with the one who says keep it longer.

Aaron,
Agreed - always err on the side of the most restrictive and a school should be in good shape!

Traci Lee

Hi Annette,
We are making "dummy" files so that each department can see what documents need to remain in the file and not be purged. i think it helps to have an example for everyone to work with.

Our school keeps records such as transcripts, attendance, grades on-line (we are a part of a college system). Is this considered as adequate record-keeping?

Patricia,

Are you asking if maintaining them electronically is considered adequate? If so, that depends upon your various approval agencies but, generally, electronic records are deemed acceptable, although auditors and reviewers may require that you provide these in a printed format during their evaluation.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment