Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We currently do 2 internal audits quarterly.
One is conducted by the department manager and the other by someone that is from a different department. We do all departments at the same time and find it better to do it that way.
At the end of the audits it's very interesting comparing the department manager's finding to that of the outsider and a lot is learned.
We have been doing this for a year now and our audits are going much better!

Within our department, we were auditing our academic records 3 times a year. We went through some managerial changes over the few years and got away from doing the audits. After not doing them for 2 years I have seen a shift in how accurately our records are kept.

We have been trying to re-institute the audits back into our tasks since they have great value and to get us on task for when COMTA comes in a couple years.

I plan to audit my files on a more regular basis to "prepare" for an alternate dean to review our files. This will get us back on track for preparing for our site visit in a couple years.

I think it depends on the scope of audit. It is always best to do random mock audits to ensure that everything is within compliance.

Kim,

Great to hear that you are getting things "back on track". It's easy to let such internal reviews fall to the bottom of the "to do" list and I applaud you making this a priority to work on things now rather than last minute in preparation for the visit you referenced.

Traci Lee

Audits are a necessary item for all businesses to function

I work at a small school so auditing all departments simultaneously is less of a challenge than in a larger school. Of course, we have less staff to perform the work. As I am setting up compliant procedures and policies, I am incorporating oversight into the work flow. This includes the exchange of knowledge between departments. I envision a team where we truly understand what each of the individuals is responsible for and where we can step in to help as needed.

Renee,
It's definitely a great way to cross train between departments!

Traci Lee

I think we can do auditing by focusing on different departments each quarter or each month. For example, academics one quarter, admissions the next, and career services the following and
financial aid the fourth quarter.Also,based on the size of the institute, we can structure an auditing program.

Naji,

I think the rotational department approach is a good way to keep up on continual monitoring of key areas of concern.

Traci Lee

Same here - smaller school. I was wondering when you do perform the audits on all departments, do you let them know ahead of time or is it always a surprise audit?

In my opinion, I think it would be best to perform an audit of each department individually. This way while one department is actually going through the audit. The auditor can focus only on this particular department, while the other department get prepared for their upcoming audit.

Latika,
I see your point. However, some items can "overlap" - such as how a last date of attendance, typically recorded by a registrar, impacts the financial aid department for any refunds due on Title IV funding. Sometimes audits are what raise the awareness of one department's impact upon another, which can be beneficial to reviewing any processes that could be improved upon.

Traci Lee

I personally think its way better to audit a different department each quarter. You don't want to be over whelmed and over look something. What WE personally do is audit everything by quarter and I find it very easy and most importantly extremely efficient.

Mehrdad,
Glad to hear your process is working well for your institution. I think a lot depends on size and scope of each institution's compliance requirements.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment