Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our student's privacy is very important so we also follow FERPA guidelines and procedures. The student fills out FERPA forms during admissions process.

i think it important for all staff to ensure that they are aware of FERPA and if a FERPA statement is signed and submitted by student. We constantly have parents and others calling about information about a student that is not considered as "directory information"

Does the student have to fill out the school FERPA form or can a student write out a statement requesting information to be disclosed to a particular person? What about verbal consent?

FERPA cannot be overlooked in the clinical facility. We have information regarding FERPA in our clinical education handbook and our clinical education coordinator reviews FERPA and it rules and regulations with the students AND the clinical instructors. We have also had in previous employment, case scenarios that we discussed in our PAC meetings.

I think that having worked 20 years in the hospital setting, and living through the H.I.P.P.A. "revolution", FERPA just sort of came naturally. I find it much more difficult, however, to be careful to not "slip" someone's attendance, vs "slipping" and telling someone a patient's lab results! I would like to look up the actual FERPA "law", so I am right on top of it. I have been in education for 13 years, but I don't think FERPA has been around that long.

I know at our school, if we are getting an "over the phone permission", I must have someone else listening in--I just put the phone on speaker, after everyone knows they ARE on speaker, and the student is allowed to then give their permission. I, however, as has been mentioned before, make sure the "permission" given is very specific.

The act has actually been around since 1974 and has been referred to as the Buckley Amendment although I don't hear that reference as much anymore. I think the sensitivity to consumer privacy, plus various amendments to the original regulation have created increasing awareness of FERPA over the years. I have attached a link to AACRAO's FERPA Guide which is a little more "user friendly" than the actual federal code to get insight into details of this act.

http://www.aacrao.org/ferpa_guide/enhanced/main_frameset.html

At our campus I don't know of any set script that we have to follow. However, our Registrar review FERPA almost quarterly to ensure we are in compliance with all policy and procedures that are in place.

We have the sames processes in place. It is crucial to have this knowledge on FERPA and other mandates.

How do you notify students of their rights?

Interesting that the admissions dept would have a script. Do you mind sharing what the script entails? The majority of conversations in admissions are specific to enrolling I would assume.

Yes that is correct. We must follow all FERA guidelines to the letter to make sure we protect ourselves and those we service

We have a FERPA form we have the student fill out specifying who we are able to release information to, and what exact type of information we can disclose. But written statements are just as good, as long as it's specific in what we can release, & to whom.

If the student is 18 or older no personal information can be given to anyone unless there is a release form signed. I understand this rule but this can put you in the hot seat when say a parent comes in asking info about their son or daughter and you can't give them the info they are asking for. It gets hard sometimes when they say it is an emergency and that they need to know the info. They are just trying to help, but we are obligated to not give any info unless a release is signed for that person asking. If they push the issue, we get someone in administration to talk to them after trying to listen and being empathetic.

The parental contact is always a topic I hear discussed at FERPA presentations/conferences, etc. It's important to know the school's specific FERPA policy in addition to the actual regulations as many schools have established specific protocols to refer to within their own policy to help individuals understand the guidelines.

Perfect. I have told my students at orientation that I cannot speak with anyone outside of themselves about academic issues. One time I had a 19 yr old who lived at home, sign a statement that if his parents requested info, I could speak with them. FERPA helps students to become adults and independent. So many parents feel they should be allowed access because the student still lives at home and the parents cover the insurance.

What do you instruct your front desk to say so that you remain in compliance with neither confirming or denying that a student attends school at your location?

Jill,
It depends on your institution's policy on handling directory information and ensuring the particular student has not requested a block of this information.

Sign In to comment