Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing a professional relationship

I have noticed my students do want to talk about a lot of their personal issues. i have had to realize, that as a mentor, i need to listen and provide positive feedback as it woud apply to helping them further their career. When do you draw a line. I run a cosmetology program, and a lot of the girls talk about boyfriends, and some domestic disputes. i feel as a professional i can only try to show them how the negativety at home can affect them in school and at work, but my question is, how personal is too personal? Especially if they need help or just some sort of support to make a decision?

That's a great question and I would recommend you conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times.  Getting to know your prospective students is a must and they are going to share a lot of information with you.  When you ask them to tell you a little bit about themselves, some will tell you more and some less.  When they personally open up with their personal issue, I thank them for sharing that with me and then bring the focus back to the reasons why they are there today and I make sure I cover the program, school, etc...in full detail.  Prospective students are sometimes hesitant and will tell you several different reasons why they cannot attend school.  Do your best in overcoming their objections.  I hope this was helpful.         

Sign In to comment